Now I'm The One To Blame

The ring. I looked at it. It wasn't on my hand. It's in between my index and thumb. I love him. And he knows that. At least, I think he knows that. I hope he does. He isn't acting like himself. And that's what's scaring me. He's not himself...

"That was never the point." I said to myself. I slid the ring back on my hand and stood up, fixing my shirt before walking into the office where Ryan was, still writing this dumb song he's been writing since the end of May.

"You know, working too hard can kill a man." I stated, walking over to where he was sitting and placed a hand on his shoulder. He flinched. "Do you need anything?" I asked, looking at his notebook. He simply shook his head.

"I'm fine." He mumbled. I sighed.

"You should take a break. Come on. I'll pay for dinner." He looked up at me and cocked an eye brow. "Please." I whispered.

"Okay." He nodded, running a hand through his hair before standing up. "That sounds good." He pushed passed me and went to the bed room. I slid my shoes on and waited for him to come out.

"Ry, come on. Seriously." I walked to the bed room door and leaned on the door jamb. He was changing into a simple white button up and plain blue jeans. "You didn't have to change, ya know?" I looked at him.

"I felt like I needed to." He shrugged, sitting on the edge of the bed and sliding his dumb-ass cowboy boots on his feet. I nodded and went back out to the living room to slip my shoes on. Ryan came out of the bedroom and looked at me.

"Ready?" He asked, cocking his head. I nodded before picking up my purse. And from there, we went to Olive Garden.

"Thank you for coming out." I looked over at Ryan as he drove us to the restaurant. He simply smiled and nodded. The ride to the restaurant was long and quiet. He didn't seem to want to talk.

"What are you thinking about, Aggie?" Ryan suddenly asked as he pulled to a stop at the stop light.

"That's an odd question to ask." I quirked my head to look at him. "What makes you ask that?"

"I was just curious." He shrugged.

"A lot of things. There's the excitement of planning the wedding. Then there's the tour that you guys will be going on again. And then there's you and your song writing." I played with the ring on my finger. "What are you thinking about?" I looked over at him nervously.

"I don't know." He said in a voice so soft it made him sound lost, scared and confused. "A lot of things, I guess." He quickly added. "Song writing."

"Why are you worrying about song writing? An album just came out last year, Ryan." I looked at him and folded my hands in on my lap.

"I just wanted to write. And I have the words for this song. I just can't get it from here to the paper." He pointed to his head. "There's just something I can't do. I can't get it. I don't know what. I just can't."

"Maybe you should take a break. Sometimes, when people get writers block, they take a break." I fiddled with my thumbs. "You and I. We could... We could go to Seattle. Just us." I smiled softly. "Take a break from being busy." Ryan stayed quiet.

We sat across from each other during dinner. We talked. Or, well, I talked. He mostly sat and listened or daydreamed or whatever. I hope he listened. It would've been nice if he part took in it that way.