Chapter 7: Boo Thang

AJ

Once class was over I hurried and grabbed my shit. I didn't even care about my book bag. I just left it in my locker. As I walked out the door, my phone blew up with messages. I turned it off and put it in my pocket. I was embarrassed of what I just told Sam. It was honestly a mistake.

Today marked the day of winter break. I don't know why we had to stay in school for a Monday. This week and next week we have school days off. Some teacher work days, snow days, and holidays.

When I got home I looked at my mother who was home already. She always comes home later then me, unless I got detention.

"AJ,we thought about going on vacation tomorrow-"She started.

"Tomorrow?What?"

"Don't interrupt me boy.Yes tomorrow to go see Nicki, Amauri,and Maury (QUICK BACKSTORY: NICKI IS AJ'S AUNTIE AMAURI AND MAURY ARE AJ'S COUSINS) in Tampa."

"Nah,I think I'm going to stay home on this one,"I put my feet up on the table and leaned back in my chair.

"Alright, well you know the rules. I will FaceTime you out the blue so if you got a party in my house I will find out. No more than 5 friends over at a time," She pushed my feet off of the table making me fall.

"Damn mama,"I cried.

That's shit hurt. She walked off just leaving me alone. I rolled my eyes and sat back up on the couch. I turned on the TV. The show Little Women was on. Y'all know I had to see what's going on with the Queen of Atlanta.

SAM

Today I walked home by myself. It was so uncomfortable. Niggas were constantly throwing themselves at me. Eventually I arrived at the house. My grandma was outside crying and Leroy was starting up the car.

"What's the matter granny?"I asked.

"Y-Your mother was in a accident,"She cried.

I couldn't do shit .My mother, she could die and we never made up and...

She's gone.

Everyone got in the car and we were on our way to the hospital. Once there we waited what seemed like forever. When in reality it was only a hour.

"Family of Mabel Carver?"The doctor announced.

I stood up. I was scared to hear what was about to be said.

"Mabel is fine. She fractured a bone in her leg and the flesh to her upper arm ripped open. We were able to stitch her up, and she's doing fine. She will fall asleep because of her medicine so we ask only one person stay with her overnight."

I sighed in relief. Thank god. We all walked in her room. She was staring at the ceiling probably in deep thought. That's what us Carver women do.

"Mama,"I softly said.

"Samantha,come here baby,"She patted the area beside her.

I walked over and hugged her gently. She smiled.

"Was anyone hurt?"She asked.

That's my mother for you. She could seriously care less if it was her, but if it was someone else she would cry for days.

"No,only you,"My grandma said.

"Can you guys give Sam and I a moment?"She asked.

"Come on Leroy,you taking me to that McDonald's down the street!"My granny hit him upside the head.

"Why you hit me mama?I a-"The door shut leaving the awkward silence between us.

She smiled at me. I weakly smiled back.