Chapter 30: I swear

SAM

My leg bounced up and down as I sat in the waiting room. Nick was slowly pacing the room drinking a bottle of water. I thought about my cluelessness. How did I not know he was my nephew man?

It was clear as fucking day, easy as fucking pie. He was my nephew. I sighed in defeat and put my head down. The police walked in and asked the receptionist some questions.

The door bust open and in came AJ. His eyes searched the room. I stood up and waved him over. He came to me and hugged me tightly. He probably thought he lost me.

Ohh you can't get rid of me that easily.

"What's going on?"He asked.

"My,My H-I-Uhh,"I stumbled across my words.

Nick stepped in and placed his hand on AJ's shoulder. The waterworks came back again and I started to cry.

"Denzel was shot man,"Nick said looking down.

AJ looked at me. He knew I disliked Denzel. I mean he was never my main priority. When he dated Rachelle he was introducing her to new shit. This probably why she in love with drugs now.

I felt my arms start to get heavy around AJ. I sighed and sat down. The tears started to stream down my eyes. Nick talked to AJ. They went to go get something from the vending machine because apparently I needed to take a Advil or something.

I placed my head in my hands as I thought. I thought about all this shit that we've been doing. Was I really in the right place? Ever since I met AJ my life has been like one of these tv shows. I feel like aliens are sitting back watching me laughing. I probably am a tv show man.

All this shit that's going on, from me starting graffiti at a young age, to finding AJ who cared about me. I never had a man truly care about me .My father yeah but I barely know him. He's probably rolling in his grave.

I always wonder what he would do if he was here watching me. I wonder if I would be as bad. I wonder if I would spend my nights on the streets like I usually do, or would I be at home watching Netflix? I wonder if I would be staying with AJ.

Lord knows I wouldn't. My mama always said he was the most protective man in the world. Me staying with AJ would be a big no. I couldn't even step out the house.

Being the only child my mother gave me many freedoms, many many freedoms. I do what I want and when I want. We hardly ever fight and when we do it's over something big. My mother was always on her grind trying to make a living for us. I learned to do this shit that I shouldn't have by myself.

At a young age I learned to cook, clean, and provide for myself. It was pretty hard. I survived through it though.

"That's her over there,"The nurse at the counter pointed at me.

Great her comes the 12. I slouched down in my chair and hid my face with my hair. Lets just say the 12 ain't so fond of me and want me locked up. Apparently I damaged too much property.

"Ma'am are you Samantha Carver?"A taller officer asked.

I nodded and looked him up and down. Today is simply not the day.

"We're going to need you to come down to the station for some questioning,"He said.

I rolled my eyes and stood up. I wasn't even about to fuss and fight with these people. They led me outside and put me in the police car.

The whole time I was just thinking wow. This story was already on the news. People making false statements about who shot Denzel who was in critical condition.

The fucking reporters don't know what they're talking about. This is why I don't fuck with the news. I mind my damn business.

We pulled up at the station and they led me in. They took my fingerprints and shit. They led me to a interrogation room. It wasn't like the ones I saw in the movies.

The room was small. A brown table sat in the middle. The room was lit by the illuminated lights on the ceiling. There was a window outside but nothing like the movies. It was actually subtle.

The first officer motioned for me to sit across the desk. I sat down and played with my fingers as a lady came in taking notes.

Who knew they could take me in so early? I did answer some questions earlier like I found him and all this other bullshit.

"Hi, I'm Detective Ashley. I just want to ask you a few questions sweetheart. This will all be recorded. If there is a trial this could be used in court. Are you ok with that?"She asked.

I nodded and she sat back.

"Where were you when the shooting happened?"She asked.

"Well I was leaving from my boyfriends house after this argument we had. I had stumbled across him. He was lying in the street shot,"I lied

"You said you were in a argument with your boyfriend right? What was this about?"

"I accused him of texting other bi-I mean females, and it just escalated from there."

"So give me a description of Denzel when you found him."

"He was lying on his stomach. His back was bleeding and he had his hood on,"I replied playing with my fingers.

"Ok so you said you immediately applied pressure when you talked to the Emts right?"

"Yes I used my jacket."

"How long do you think he was out there?"

"It had too be about 15 to 30 minutes until I got there"I lied.

"Do you still have the jacket?"She asked.

"Ma'am I hope you know I did not murder him,"I said with frustration.

"No no I would never think that. Its just evidence,"She said.

I threw the jacket at her as she examined it. She had another investigator put on gloves and look at it.

Sitting, I tapped my finger. When I get nervous I tap my finger.  The investigator didi in the pockets and pull out a note. I stared at it not knowing that it was in there. It was probably a love not from AJ or something.

"Was this in your pocket before?"She asked.

I gulped and shook my head no. She took it out of his hands and opened it carefully. She cleared her throat as she started to speak.

"I've always loved you. It's just that I don't want to be with you anymore. I'm sorry that I betray you but I have other things to do. I hope to see you in the future, and maybe we can still be friends and get high together? lol. I love you Sam...Signed Denzel"She said.

I shook my head violently. He didn't write that. I slapped my knee knowing it was Alicia. I knew it was her.

This bitch set me.

"Did he give this to you?"She asked showing me the letter.

"No I told you he was shot when I found him."

"You and Denzel must've dated right?"

"No! He dated my friend. I'm in a relationship with my boyfriend,"I shouted back.

"No need to get rowdy Ms.Carver. Last question, have you ever had any type of love for Denzel?"

"He was my nephew!"I said.

She side eyed me and got up.

"We've got enough for tonight. Take her home,"The Detective Ashley said.

I banged my head on the desk in defeat. I swear if I get accused for some shit everyone about to die in this bitch.