Chapter 17

Camila's POV

"Inches. Inches, Dinah!" I exclaimed. "I was just inches away from kissing her," I groaned in frustration to my best friend. It was the day after the fair, Saturday, and thankfully Dinah let me come over to her house and talk.

"Damn, you almost had your first kiss and with your ultimate crush," she sighed, looking down.

"The world hates me. I'm never going to be with Lauren," I pouted, throwing myself onto her bed.

"Hey, come on now. Didn't you say that Lauren was the one leaning in?" she asked.

"Yeah...I think so?"

"Then, she has to like you too," she threw her hands up.

"I don't know," I sighed.

"You don't know? Why would a person almost kiss someone if they didn't like them?" she wondered, sitting down right next to me. "Wait, never mind," she said, remembering her first kiss last year with some guy she was playing spin the bottle with. She didn't actually like him.

"I don't know it's just kind of weird too, right? Lauren already has a girlfriend so why would she even lean in? Maybe it was just all in my head."

"Maybe you should just talk to her about it? You know, just to make sure," she recommended.

"Ugh, that's so awkward," I whined, but I was really just too scared to.

"No, you're just too scared," she chuckled, knowing me all too well.

"Wait, how about you do it for me!?" I sat up.

"What?"

"Just ask her if she likes me," I pleaded.

"Chanch, you know damn well she wouldn't tell me that. We're all a lot closer than you think, remember? She would know right away that you set me up to it," she explained.

"True," I sighed. "Dammit, this is going to torture me!" I laid back down.

"Then talk to her!"

"And say what?"

"Just be like, 'hey, Lauren, I noticed on the ferris wheel that you were leaning in to kiss me. Is that true? Because if it is, then that's totally okay because I really like you too. Let's get married,'" she finished with a smile.

I sat up slowly with a scowl on my face, "That is the absolute worst advice I've ever heard."

"Well, fine, then stay curious. I don't need this," she turned her head and got up from the bed to leave.

"Wait, no, Cheech. Please," I ran over and koala hugged her. "Please help me," I gave her puppy dog eyes.

"Just talk to her, Mila," she breathed. "Communication is the best thing you can do. And honestly, it'll go better than you think."

I looked up at her tentatively, "How are you so sure?"

"I'm just really positive."

"But what about Keana? She looks like she wants to strangle me every time I step close to Lauren. Those evil eyes give me nightmares," I said with a shiver. "And if she finds out I'm spending even more time with Lauren, what if she, I don't know, beats me up?" I asked scared.

"You just gotta fight for your girl. And if Keana lays a hand on you, then don't worry, she won't get away with it," she smirked. I smiled at her knowing how protective she was over me. She was like my safety that I could always run to.

"Okay, I'll talk to Lauren about it this week. Thanks. I love you, Dinah," I koala hugged her again.

"Love you too, Walz."