Chapter 3: The Truth of Harry Potter

July 31st, 1983

Dear Headmaster Dumbledore,

Harry had just spent his third birthday with us.

He has been flourishing well, never one to miss a play of adventure. He has just learned to speak his name; he calls himself "'Ran." He is easily growing up smart, with a little hint of sneak then and there.

Headmaster, I know-- I must protect this child at all costs, even if it meant paying with my own life. But, Sir, why must I hide the truth from him? It eats me up inside. He is my son, too. I love him. But is truly keeping him from knowing the right thing to do? He must learn sooner or later.

Please, Sir. I ask not for me but for Brandon, my son. Your Harry Potter. I don't understand-- how could making him ignorant strengthen him? He deserves to know about himself. He will never be complete, not knowing that he is bound for a prophecy. I know I am inadept at understanding matters that concerns your world , but I believe that the best way for a child to grow is not to confuse him, but to educate him. I don't think his mother, my sister, and the boy's father would appreciate that I, his own guardian and blood, would dare to lie to him.

Please, Sir, allow me to tell him the truth about himself, when time comes. This is request not from Lily's sister, not from a woman, but from a mother.

Yours,

Petunia Dursely, nee Evans.

--------

Petunia did not dare to look at the child in front of her now. The poor boy looked so confused, and she blamed herself for it.

This time, she cried.

"Pet?" Vernon laid a hand on his wife's shoulder. She had been dreading this moment, he knew. She had repeatedly asked Albus Dumbledore to allow then to tell Bran that he was not merely another magical child, but a child who was bound to save their world from a monster. Lilewise, repeatedly, the man insisted it best be saved for later. They must raise Bran as normal a boy could be.

While they didn'tunderstand Dumbledore's intentions, Petunia had to agree. If it meant saving Bran's childhood, she would make herself lie to her child, just to assure him of things. It didn't mean that she had enjoyed it; Vernon was a constant witness to that. But it was something she knew she would have to dealw with, sooner or later.

It appeared to be something sooner.

"Oh Bran! I'm so, so, so sorry," Petunia sobbed, "Oh God..." She held him tight, praying that Lily would forgive her, taht Bran would forgive her.

"Do you want me to tell him, Mum?" Dudley asked, rather hesitant.

"Tell me what, Dudley?" Bran's voice was sounding confused as well. Petunia felt weak. Of course, they would know. There was nothing Magic couldn't reveal.

"Go on, Duds," Vernon encouraged. "You may tell your brother."

"Bran?" Dudley called.

"Yeah?"

"Harry Potter's you."

"What?!" Brandon's voice became like a squeak now. Petunia cried and held him tighter. "What do you mean Harry Potter's me? I... I'm not the Boy Who Lived, right? Maybe... Maybe I'm a wizard, but Mum... Harry Potter? Tell me this is a joke, Mum?"

"It's not a joke, honey. We... We didn't tell you because..."

Brandon paled visibly. He fought towards Petunia's grip and stood.