Chapter 32: St. Therese of the Child Jesus Orphanage.

Sister Annaliese was busy tucking all the children in. They each bid her good night and she gave them a kiss.

She smiled. She enjoys taking care of them, and was happy to be part of their lives, even for just a short while.

Born in a poor neighborhood in Wales, Annie, as she was called, had four younger sisters and brothers to take care of. She was the third of seven children. Her father was a train worker, and sometimes, when the mining district was small on workers, Leopold would mine, too. He was rarely seen in the house. Annie rarely saw him, then. To her, he was a passing shadow, but he was a loving man. Although he did not have a big impact on young Annie after he died of tubercolosis when she was ten, he had taught her to be determined and hardworking. Annie took over from Leopold her eyes and her hair.

The one who had always been there was Annie's mother, Penelope. She was a kind, gentle woman, who valued God and education above everything.

Besides emboidery and cooking, she had taught Annie about God, for she was a devout Catholic, and had been the first to show Annie how to love Him. She also shared Annie's passion for learning and books.

Later on, she was the proudest woman on Earth when Annie became a nun.

Now known as Sister Annaliese, Annie is now a young lady. Penelope had long since passed away, but her lifetime was enough to witness Annie go inside the convent and proclaim herself as God's bride and messenger. She had long since devoted her time and life on caretaking the children at St. Therese of the Child Jesus Orphanage.

---

She was quietly made her way from the children's rooms to her own, when she had seen a picture of one of her most memorable 'children'. It was a boy, with green eyes and warm smile. In the picture, Harry was happily holding up a muddy ball. He had scored a goal that rainy day, but his smile was sunny.

She wondered amusingly if Harry still remembered her. He was smart, and was still seven years old when his Aunt and Uncle came to take him home.

She loved Harry. He was the first child who had warmed through her heart. She was still a young novice when she took over Harry as his caretaker. She had pitied the boy. He was always bullied, and was subjected to several abusive homes. But even then, she knew Harry was special.

It was, maybe, the way his eyes sparkled.

----

Sister Annie looked out the window, her prayer book in hand. It was raining too hard, and the thunderstorm usually causes some of the children to have nightmares, and so she opted to stay up late and pray for the children to have a good night's sleep.

But when a very unnerving crack of thunder was overheard, she stood on her feet. Her skin prickled, as if she was touch by a hand and was electrified by it. Her heartbeat became rather erratic and even she can hear herself breathe through her nose and mouth.

Sister Annie closed her eyes, and said her litany of , 'Lord Almighty, please take away this storm. Never let us perish throughout the night, as you had well promised Noah to never flood the Earth again. Grant us the strength to fight the darkness, the fears and uncertainties. Bless us, O Lord...'

Then, she felt a tingle through her arms. She snapped her head towards her back, and found nothing there.

What was...?

Was it the Demon, the Fallen Angel, that was causing these uncalled for fears? The images of men with horns, their skin as red as fire, their smiles insidious and meant her harm were flooding her mind.

Sister Annaliese shook her head. God was with her. This was just a stormy night, what was so unusual about that?

Nothing.