Chapter 7: The Sorting Ceremony

The distance from the train platform to the castle was not that far. A giant, who introduced himself as Hagrid, went in front and called out the first years to line up. They were advised to leave their trunks, pets and belongings on the train. Brandon didn't ask why, even if he felt bad leaving Sebastian behind for a while. He put him inside his carrier and kissed the pup goodbye. Ron waited for him outside. The rest of the others were already outside and were talking or whispering. The older ones were out in the back, louder than most. For the first years, they were a rowdy bunch on their own right. Others had friends they met on the train and others seem to know each other a while back before coming to Hogwarts.

He saw the boy who said he was bitten by Sebastian, his blonde hair standing apart from the crowd. He remembered who his name was; Draco. He was with a few boys and a girl. Everybody seemed to know him, especially the Upper Years and those who obviously were raised in the wizarding world. He heard the boy snicker and comment on Muggleborns and the likes, saying they were filthy. He shot a dirty on the bushy haired girl- Hermione who was talking animatedly to a boy who had a plump, reddening face. Bran guessed he might be Neville, since he shouted for 'Trevor' and went around asking if they saw a toad.

Brandon stuck himself with Ron on the queuing, barely speaking to each other as they were lead to several halls with floating candles and talking portraits.

Hagrid made them stop on a staircase as he went and said he would get someone named Professor McGonagall. Some Upper Years, prefects they were called, were assigned to look out for them for a while.

Brandon stayed a bit far from the others, withdrawing attention from himself, and he was alone since Ron went ahead, saying he had to talk to his brothers about something, or so he thought.

"Hey, I know you!" A voice near him called. He turned to see Draco, the blonde haired boy, with two boys standing behind him. Bran didn't move, "You're the boy who took in thr direwolf that bit me, aren't you? I saw you. The stupid dog bonded with you, did he not?"

Brandon just looked at him, crossing his arms in front of his chest and studied the boy in fromt of him. He gave off a haughty look, as if he was better than everyone else. He was rich, the robes gave it away. It was a robe that was spill-proof and fireproof. He saw it back at Madame Malkin's. The silvery eyes looked  at him with fierceness. He could already sense that the boy was up to no good, and Bran was good at sensing things.

"Why don't you answer me? Did you hear what I said?"

"I did, sorry. I tend to space out a bit often. Brandon Dursely, by the way." He said, extending a hand. The boy just looked at it and didn't make a move to shake it. Instead, he said,

"You're a Mudblood. I never heard that surname before. I don't shake hands with the likes of you. I'm sure you don't know me. I'm Draco Malfoy, no one crosses with me, especially the NOT likes of you and don't you forget that!" He said in a sharp tone.

"Well, I'm pretty sure I will. It was nice to get to know you, Mr. Malfoy." He answered back, turning on his heel and went a bit further from the others.

Just then, a stern looking woman with her hair in a bun introduced herself as Professor Minerva McGonagall. She said she was the Deputy Headmistress and they are now to be sorted into their Houses by the Sorting Hat. Brandon had read about that. He read it was called the Sorting Ceremony, and it was a tradition done for thousands of years during the start of each term for first years. He learned a few days before that his Mum was sorted into Gryffindor, and he made sure that he read about the Houses. He wasn't sure where he belonged, and even if the nasty Draco Malfoy would be in the same house as he was, he'd still be fine with it. As for subjects, Potions was still the most interesting for him by far.