Chapter 15: Quidditch

The next weeks proved to be good weeks. Nobody ever knew what they were up to that rainy afternoon, except their group and Iann Verona, who glared at them at every chance he got. He took a more closer look at their activities amd even held a copy of their timetables, much to Bran's annoyance. He wasn't one for personal invasion, and to him, it was just what Verona was doing, if only not for knowing the tip that made him furious at them. The Twins were able to catch Verona snogging Helena Wellington that morning and the Blinton twins were laughing as they told them that Iann was a messy kisser. He looked livid, especially when the Twins offered him advises on how to 'kiss properly', which were atrocious and gave the Slytherins a good laugh.

The Quidditch tryouts were now being beld and Marcus Flint was eyeing him, so did the others. Many Slytherins heard that Snape had a first year able to try out for the seeker position, which was left vacant since the previous Seeker already graduated, and many guesses were made by the House. Draco, Hermione, Lancel and Theodore knew already that it was him, but as expected of a Slytherin, they did not let it slip. So, many were surprised to see him in the midst of older years, and no one lower than fourth year tried out for the team, which never lost the Quidditch Championship and the House Cup for eight years straight now, and they were determined to let go of it just yet, which added pressure to the whole House. Nobody was allowed to lose any House Points, or they will loose priviledges or receive further detention. Snape made it sure that they are doing well in their lessons, and were not allowed to slack off. Anyone with low grades are to be removed from any club they belong to, including Quidditch.

"Alright! Show us what you've got! Line up, mount your brooms." They did what they were told and since there were only four trying out for Seeker, they had to play an elimination and had to go on a face to face with the actual and official team Seeker, who was requested by Snape to visit the school just for the tryouts. It made him nervous, but he knew he had to do it. It seemed that Snape trusted his abilities to let him try, and Brandon would not let him down. He had to do well in the try out and he had to make it, even just for reserve.

The positions' try outs were held simultaneously in the quidditch pitch. They were the last House to hold it since they won the Cup last year.  The others who tried out the same position as him were grinning and snickering, and Bran knew they were talking about him. He recognised one of them, but he was not mocking him, at least. It was Iara Verona, Iann's younger sister. She was a fifth year, and was betted by many as one of the most likely to get the position. She winked at him as she took off to fly and go head to head with a short boy named Timothy Acker. It was a round roven elimination game, and he was set to play with a seventh year, much to his unfortunate timing. The boy's name was Fyre Grendelow and he was tall and lean.

"Alright, I want no dirty tricks here, you hear me, Grendelow?" Flint said, "Now, soar!" The wind was so cool on his face and Bran felt like he could do anything. He scanned the area and was glad to see his friends and even the Weasely boy giving him a weak smile.

Their Snitch was released and Fyre sped past by him in hot pursuit of the Snitch, but Bran looked at the way the other one flew. Though fast, it seems that Fyre was not good at making sharp turns, and at this, Bran smiled widely.

He trailed Grendelow patiently, as if telling him that he had no idea what he had to do. Then the Snitch went down, and Grendelow did an excellent dive, which made that other boy's pals cheering and whistling for him, but he stayed up. The Snitch had to change direction somehow and at some time, seeing that it was a tricky thing. If he estimated correctly, it was thirty two minutes after the snitched was released. Iara Verona had caught hers after twenty minutes.

Meanwhile, Fyre was taken by surprise when the snitch, which was almost at his reach, suddenly went up, leaving him diving at a rough phase to the dirt. He panicked, lost control of his broom,  and tumbled to the ground, groaning as he did so. The Snitch went up and in front of Bran. Reflexes emerged, and Bran was trailing it, rather fast, ignoring the cheers and gasps of those watching as he dived, did a corkscrew and did sharp turns. What he knew was, flying was the best thing when you're a wizard, and it made him feel invincible! He was smiling all the time as he chased the elusive golden ball. It flew towards those who were trying out for beater, and a bludger came his way. He ducked at the precise moment, and dived again. The Snitch was still teasing him, and he pushed the broom to its speed limit, not caring if the wind was almost toppling his robe. All he knew was he had to catch the Snitch!