Chapter Fifteen

• • • • •
MAYA'S POV
• • • • •

I awoke to Annabeth shaking me. At first I thought I was back in Cabin 3, but no such luck. We were on some sort of mountain, little patches of snow dotting the landscape.

"Where are we?" I asked groggily. My head ached from where I had hit it. I could feel a little bump forming.

"I'm not sure. I already called out for Thorn, but he doesn't seem to be here." She said, a little panicky.

I was feeling a little afraid myself. We didn't know where we were, we didn't know where the others were and if they made it out alive, and we didn't have any nectar or ambrosia. Or backpacks we still behind that pillar at Westover Hall. Fantastic.

I stood up and looked at my surroundings. All around us were old Greek structures, each and every one cracked and crumbling.

We climbed up the hill we were on until we seemed to have reached the top. And over to our right, was Luke. In pain.

Now after being friends with him for years, you'd probably expect me to run to his side, despite all he's done. But two summers ago, he tried to kill my brother. And at that moment I completely lost my respect for him. If we were to ever cross paths again, I would not show him any mercy.

But Annabeth on the other hand, she still thought he wasn't that bad. She thought there was still good in him. And maybe there is, but I'm not willing to believe that anytime soon.

So Annabeth ran forward to Luke's side, while I stayed put. Who knew what he had up his sleeve.

"Annabeth, no!" I shouted. But she still ran to him anyways. I took a few steps closer, just in case something were to happen to Annabeth. But I wasn't moving any closer unless I had to.

"Annabeth! Help me! Please!" Like cried. Only now did I realize that he was holding something, something that was pitch black with fog swirling around him. The sky.

I had only heard about it in stories. The Titan Atlas had been sentenced to holding the sky for eternity. It was this spot that the sky met the earth.

I gasped. "Annabeth no! You can't!"

But she didn't listen to me. As the sky began to crack around Luke, she quickly helped him hold it up.

And that was a big mistake.

Luke let go of the sky, putting all the weight on her. We said something to her, but I couldn't hear over the wind. Then he got up and walked away.

"Annabeth!" I cried, running forward.

"No, Maya. Go. Save yourself." I breathed out.

"No. Absolutely not. What kind of friend do you think I am?" I said.

I kneeled down beside her, and took the sky.

It was heavy. Like really heavy. Like a million pounds resting on your shoulders heavy. Not as heavy as Fred and George, but still pretty heavy.

"You can go. Get help." My voice was strained from the weight.

"No. You didn't leave, so neither am I. If we have to hold this thing, we'll do it together."

"Thank you, Annabeth." I closed my eyes, letting out a breath.

When I opened them again, the normally black curl that always insisted on staying in front of my face, was now a streaked with gray.

• • • • •
FRED'S POV
• • • • •

I sat in front of the fire in the Gryffindor common room, just staring at the flames. McGonagall had just finished telling George and I that Maya was missing. And she may never come back.

All I wanted was for her to be here, sitting right next to me. That way, I know she's safe, and that's all that I wish for her. To be safe.

But then there's always the factor of her being a demigod. Life is never easy for them.

After she told George and I her big secret, I had gone to the library. And trust me, I hardly go in there. I'm usually too loud.

But Maya had said she was always in danger, and there wasn't a way that could hide her smell from the monsters.

So I did some research. And she was right. No one had discovered a way to protect demigods from monsters. Yet.

And also, none of them are wizards.

Then, a few days ago when everyone went to Hogsmeade to do some Christmas shopping, I went to a jewelry store.

I had searched and searched for the perfect piece for Maya.

Finally, I had found a necklace with a tiny gold seashell, and I thought it was perfect.

Later that evening, I started experimenting.

With all my research, I had found a way to charm an item to act like a shield. The shield was invisible, and you couldn't feel it around you. But you could sense its power.

This shield, could protect a demigod from attracting monsters. Now, it will work the majority of the time, but I couldn't get it to mask the other people she was with. Otherwise that would ruin the entire purpose of it.

Regardless, I worked on it until the sun started to rise. Thankfully, it was a weekend.

But now, I had the perfect gift for Maya.

A gift to keep her safe.

__________________________
Hey guys! Sorry it's kinda short but I really wanted to update for you guys! I'll be updating again soon so don't worry. Also I hope you enjoy this chapter! The necklace is in the picture. Anyways, don't forget to comment and vote! Bye guys!

P. S. Thank you so so much for all the reads and comments! I really appreciate it!

xoxo
Michaela