Chapter Thirty One

I barely refrained from rolling my eyes and groaning as I entered Lockhart's class, taking a seat in the back with the small hope that I would be able to doze off for a bit. I slouched in my chair, running my hand through my dark hair in exasperation.

"Ready for our favorite class of the day?" Lee Jordan plopped down in the seat in front of me, smirking as he put his feet on the table.

"You bet!" I replied sarcastically, dramatically grinning. "Do you think he'd care if I asked to go to the bathroom and never came back?"

"I think he cares too much about himself that he won't notice," George piped up from behind me as he entered the classroom, taking a seat by Lee.

We chuckled, and soon after Fred walked in, placing his books on the desk adjacent to mine.

My eyes traveled over to Charlotte Avery, the girl who knew my biggest secret and had the power to do whatever she pleased with it. She twirled one of her perfect curls around her finger, laughing with her little group of friends.

"Ugh," I groaned, drawing it out a tad more than necessary. "I forgot she was in this class." I slouched even more in my chair, rubbing my temples as I felt a headache coming on.

"Don't let her get on your nerves," Fred offered words of encouragement while I seethed in the corner.

"How can I not!" I whisper-yelled, leaning back against my chair, blowing air out of my cheeks. Before I could complain and sulk anymore, Professor Lockhart waltzed in, his lilac robes billowing behind him.

When he started talking, I suddenly found a loose thread on my robes much more interesting. I fiddled with the string as his words went in one ear and out the other.

It wasn't until someone raised their hand that I started paying attention.

To my surprise, Charlotte had been the one to raise her hand. She never participated in this class, or any other class for that matter. Lockhart seemed surprised as well, but nodded to her. "Yes, Miss Avery?"

"Professor Lockhart," she began with a tone of confidence. "What creatures have you encountered?"

With a smile, Lockhart raved about the many creatures he'd seen and conquered. "Once there was a grindylow, pulled me right under the water. But, I fought him off with a flick of my wand. Got rid of that bugger that had been terrorizing the town-"

Charlotte cut him off before he went on a tangent. "Have you ever met a demigod?"

For a second, I didn't think I'd heard correctly. But her words echoed in my head, and my breaths caught in my throat. It felt like someone had placed a large weight on my chest. The room started spinning and I forgot everything else around me. Just me, Charlotte, and my secret.

Fred grabbed my wrist tightly, his face pale, and I could feel his nervous sweat on my skin. He shook me out of my initial shock as Charlotte continued.

"Fortunately for them, I have not encountered a demigod," Lockhart boasted about his "skill", and I clenched my teeth to prevent myself from screaming at him.

"I have," Charlotte piped up. Lockhart raised his brow in surprise.

"Oh? Care to enlighten us, Miss Avery?" The professor almost seemed miffed that she had met something he never had before. And he was a legend in that area.