Chapter 26: Alone

Ark! Sorry! I updated late today!!! Welp...

Comment and Vote and Enjoy:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes tremble open as Huntress commands, Wake!

I gasp, sitting straight up. The cave was quiet. Too quiet. The light of dawn was creeping in through the large opening of the cave. The fires were crackling softly as the last of their food burned away. The flames did not exist, just a glowing pile of blackened branches.

I stand and wince. My hand goes to my side to feel cloth. I look down to see a white and red linen cloth covering my scratched stomach. The grey of the cave catches my attention and my eyes memorize the cracks. Huntress mumbles, "Isaac and Soul are gone."

My eyes narrow and I bend to one knee. The texture of the footprint was slightly dusted away, but there was many in the gray sand of the cave.

They all left... I inquire, A few hours ago, in fact.

"They must have left you for your safety." Huntress says.

I grit my teeth, They are going to defeat the Soul Eater without me. In realization, I burst outside to see that all the supplies, except for one backpack were gone. The horses were taken too.

"Well, they are smart enough to know that if you had a horse, you would go after them," Huntress sneers.

Oh shut it! I growl in response. I'm sure I'll be able to track them. I look up to see claw marks. Those are Rave's. He carried them up. How did I sleep through this??

"You were pretty injured Scar..." Huntress soothes.

Whatever! I'm better now. I hiss and grab the nearest rock. I throw it, and wait for it to land at the top of the cliff. "Click!"

I nod my head, "It's about an hour climb. I'm going up."

Huntress sighs, "Yes, but to get the supplies needed are about an hour climb to go down and get the backpack and return to cave. Plus an hour to break in the cave. And if you are still hurt, well..... this will be a day adventure! They will be ahead of you by a day!"

I growl, hating this feeling of being left behind. Did they think they do not need me? Was I too troublesome? Did I do something wrong? My anger fizzes away and is replaced with sadness. My red eye starts to tingle as persistence takes my whole mind.

I straighten my shoulders and speak mentally to Huntress, Mind keeping me company on this day journey just like the times when we were in the dungeon?

"Would love too! Though I still think you need to kill Evangeline." Huntress says.

I chuckle lightly and begin my climb down towards where the one backpack was left.

**

I groan as I finally reach the top of the cliff.

"Look at that Scar! You made it! You climbed all the way down from the cave and got the backpack of supplies while wincing all the way down. Then you climbed back to the cave, slowly starting to falter. Yet you kept going! You took a short break at the cave to change your bandage then climbed all the way up here, even if you had small breaks thanks to your wounds. You did it!"

I laugh, "Thanks Huntress."

"No problem my dear." She proudly takes credit.

Another laugh. I pull out a bottle of water from the backpack and take a deep chug. The cold water slides down my throat giving me the required energy I needed to stand back up. I sigh and heave myself to my feet. The whole journey took me about a day. I woke up at dawn, and it was now dusk. I look at the setting sun, smiling lightly at its beauty.

Time to work, I think to myself and my red eye starts to tingle again. My tracker training takes over as I start looking for clues.

The group defiantly went this way. I narrow my eyes to look out towards the sunset to see the hoof prints of horses going as far as the edge of the cliff then disappearing to reveal a whole maze of cliffs and mountains.

I sigh, my shoulder's sagging. I would never be able to catch up. I guess I'll be just waiting; waiting for those bastards to return to my furry.

I sigh again, knowing that if they ever return, I'd be too relived to be anger.

"We both know you just want Isaac to return... You've never told him how you really feel." Huntress reads my deepest inner thought.

I gulp, knowing what she was saying was true. Another heavy sigh leaves my lips as I turn and begin my climb back to the cave that I will now call home for the next few months.

"Wait... We are going to live here for the next few months?" Shrieks Huntress.

I reply mentally to her, "Yes. If they survive, they will return here to safety, and me. They don't think I'll leave with the 'massive' injury even though we both know I could leave now."

So you want to wait for your betraying friends? Huntress digs.

"No. I want to wait for my only family," I fix. "Plus, this should be fun. We never stayed in a new place long enough to settle down so..."

Alright, you sold me.... Huntress grumbles. I laugh and continue the climb down to my new home.

**

"Scar! Get up! Now!" Huntress screams in my head. I bolt up, kicking off the blanket I found in the backpack two days ago.

Yes, it is day three alone with Huntress. We settled in nicely, I would say. We found a creak with fresh clean water, a lake with fish, and plant life near the water sources that could be used for crafting. The forest itself was filled with useful materials and had a plentiful amount of food supply.

The cave was slowly being shaped to be a home. Though the journey from the cave took thirty minutes before I hit the ground, I still managed by day two to get myself some 'homey' items.

My hand gasps my dagger as the cave walls start to shake. Small rocks fall off the roof and I clutch my dagger tighter.

Two reptilian eyes pop out from the top of the cave entrance. "Rave! You are here!" I call, dropping the dagger.

Rave playfully sticks out his tongue before dropping from the side of the mountain to the entrance of the cave.

"Hi boy!" I laugh, hugging him. He purrs.

Huntress starts up, "Since its day three... They must have sent him back after day one. I think they took him for a safety but also if you decided to show up so that they could send you back..."

I gulp, feeling my anxiety for the group go up again. I haven't feel this much fear for a long time, Ya... They also sent him back late enough that I wouldn't be able to use him to go after them either.

"Positives of working with super smart Dark Trackers..." grumbles Huntress. I go back to petting Rave before realizing he was probably hungry.

"Lets go hunting." I tell him and he yips in approval. I laugh, jumping onto his back.

A plus of having a huge lizard? The time it takes to get down from home was shortened. Home was becoming more homey.