Chapter 5: Raging Fire

Hope's POV

I watched as Percy stood outside my door, looking hesitant to knock. My mom, who has been sick lately walked out of her room. I glanced back at her with a worried gaze.

"Mama, you shouldn't be out of bed," I muttered glanced back out through the window, Percy had taken a step back and disappeared through the shadows. I let out a deep sigh as I noticed he had left.

"Mija, Something is wrong, what is it?" She coughed before she took a proper seat on the couch. I watched as she struggled before smiling at me with a reassuring smile.

"I- I met someone like me," I said with a worried glance. My mother has struggled so much to help me through my childhood. It was clear I was not like other children. I was faster, stronger, smarter.

"Was it that handsome young man who fought off Mark and his goons?" She asked giving me a weak smirk.

I silently laughed, but it was cut short as I remembered what Percy had told me.

"He is handsome, but apart from that, he kind, I feel this sort of attraction to him." One thing I always had with my mom, was trust. I could tell her anything, and she would understand me.

"Did he tell you what he was?" She asked silently, hoping not to wake up my siblings.

"Dragons," I said, my mom froze, and her eyes opened wide.

"He even took me to see the land, So many dragons roamed, we're not the only ones," I explained. My mother gave me a sadden glance.

"You're father was always a strange man. I am for certain not a dragon. I do not know you my children could have inherited such traits." I gave her a nod.

"He told me that each dragon has a mate." I paused and glanced at her. My mother was looking at me with eyes full of curiosity. I sighed out and rubbed my arm.

"He has a mate somewhere out there, but thinking about him being with someone hurts." My mother stayed silent and gave me an odd expression.

"How did he treat you?" She asked. I smiled as I remembered the feeling of his hand in mine, how his arm felt as it was wrapped entirely around me.

"I felt like I belonged by his side," I said.

"Did it ever occur to you that maybe you are his mate?" She asked raising an eyebrow. I blushed deeply and looked away as I walked over to the seat beside her.

An hour passed in silence before I heard a loud crash outside. I quickly stood up and glanced at my mother, who was looking even more sickly than before.

"Mom, go to the room," I said glancing at her. My mother stood up with shaky legs and quietly walked to my sibling's room.

"Hope," My name was spoken with a slur. I took a quick peek outside the window to see Mark there, with a bottle of beer. I wrinkled my nose in disgust and glanced at the door. I quickly moved to the door and made sure it was properly locked. Mark began to loudly pound on the door, apparently waking up my siblings, who I could hear shifting in there beds.

Soon I heard soft breathing behind me, and their presence was unfamiliar.

"shit," I muttered. I glanced at who was behind me to see a female with glowing yellow eyes.

My mouth went dry at the woman, and I couldn't see her face, only her cat-like eyes that bore into my own. I blinked once, and she was gone. I looked around the room, searching for any signs of her, only to see none. No one was in the living room but myself and my mother.