Sorry

The city was aglow as the rain fell harshly. Cars zoomed down the crowded streets as water was splashed up in waves. Umbrellas covered thousands of pedestrians as they moved like ants down the sidewalks. The sound of  footsteps and cars was nothing new to these New Yorkers, but the large screens in Time Square spat out a whole new sound. 

A reporter was showing some older footage from the battle at the airport. People watched up in horror as the heroes they once loved fought with each other. It was strange to see Avengers against one another and not together. Mumblings like "How can this be?" and "They should have just signed those Accords" were heard as a hooded figure made their way thru the crowd.

The government released information on the Accords a few days after the war ended. Tony was at a press conference when he spoke about why the war had begun in the first place. He spoke about "The Winter Solider" and how Captain America was trying to save a "Lost Cause". Some people agreed with what the Captain had done, while still others thought it was a stupid and reckless move. The public was divided along with the Avengers, leaving the world in a constant state of conflict.

The hooded figure stopped and looked up at the screens as the reporter spoke about the recklessness that Captain America had shown that day. He spoke about how Tony Stark was the real hero, and anyone outside of the Accords should be locked away like the rest of Cap's team had. Rain bounced off the navy blue hood as a pair of sunglasses looked back down to the ground. Their thick black rims hiding most of his face, while darker stubble covered the rest. The giant TV screen reflected in the glasses as water dripped down his slim face.

With his appearance changed so much, no one would ever guess that it was Steve Rogers under those glasses. No one paid any attention to him as he began to walk again. The cloth sneakers he wore were now soaked and his gray sweatshirt clung to his body. The cold didn't bother him as he weaved in and out of the large crowd. Steve was trying his best to look like an average guy from Brooklyn, and has far as he could tell; it was working. No one recognized him, which was a good thing, but at the same time it hurt.

The city that he had loved, and fought for had forgotten his name. It didn't bother him too much; after all, he was used to being forgotten. The bad thing was; he never forgot. He clutched a small photo in his pocket as he walked down the street. That's when he saw it.

A woman, in an ally just across from him, was being beaten by some low life thugs. He could hear her muffled screams as she took one punch after the other. The sound of sick chuckling filled the air as the men brutally attacked the woman. Steve grinded his teeth and clenched his fists, no way he was letting them get away with this. He took a small step but froze when the men were thrown against the wall. He removed his sunglasses, rain flooding his eyes, as he looked to see someone drop down into the alleyway.

A kid in a red and blue suit helped the woman to her feet and proceeded to call the police. Steve knew that suit anywhere; Spider-Man.

Spider-Man's head shot up as if he suddenly knew Steve was there. He looked behind him as the sound of sirens filled the air.

The alley was empty.

He looked back to the woman and smiled under his mask, "Do you think you'll be okay until the cops pull in?" He questioned. She nodded and Spider-Man shot a web up into the air before disappearing.

Steve had found a small coffee shop far from where Spider-Man spotted him. The waitress smiled warmly at him as he walked in. She asked him if he wanted a table, but he informed her he just needed to use the restroom. When he found the restroom he stepped inside and locked the door. Seeing that woman getting beat up had shaken him. It had proven his point. That's the kind of thing that Superheroes were meant to stop, but because of the Accords they weren't allowed to.

If it wasn't for Spider-Man, that woman could have been dead. He didn't see Tony offering to help her. That only filled him with more rage. Were those the hands he had left Y/n in? Was that who was now looking after her?

He looked into the mirror at his reflection and felt tears sting his eyes.

What had he done?

Was this how it was going to be now? Him hiding in a abandoned building with a slowly dying Bucky? Walking the streets at night, trying to find food or any trace of his friends?

This was not what he had wanted. Not at all. He had to wipe his old phones memory but he was able to transfer one photo to the crappy one he had now.

A picture of all the Avengers.

They were all sitting together smiling. Thor looked like a Norse model, Clint and Natasha were giving each other rabbit ears, Sam was sitting on Tony's lap the two of them laughing, Wanda and Vision were cheek-to-cheek, and Steve swore he saw a slight blush on Wanda's cheeks. Then there was Y/n and him..... He was sitting laughing while Y/n had her arms around him. He missed the feeling of her holding on to him. A tear slid down his cheek as he looked down at the photo.

He hadn't realized how much he missed Y/n.... He felt stupid for not caring for her more. He was too caught up in his own bubble to realize how much she loved him. She was always there, she always would be. He wished for just one more moment with her. He wanted to say thank you for all she had done to help him. He wanted her to know that he too loved her.

Instead he slumped to the floor, the phone in his hand, letting the regret swallow him whole. He let it eat away at him until he was nothing more than a broken solider.

"I'm sorry...." He whispered preying that everyone he had wronged could hear him.

Y/n held the address in her hand. She knew she had to go. She needed to find him, but how?

Visions voice cut thru her thoughts, "Goodnight Miss L/n..."

She looked up at him and smiled. "Soon...." She thought. "Night Vision!" was her only response. The lights went out and she looked to the shield on display on her desk. She crawled under the sheets and sighed, closing her eyes. She couldn't leave him. Not now. He needed her. She shifted till she was comfortable, then her body relaxed. A smile curled her lips.

"Don't worry Steve..... I'm coming......"