Arrived

Y/n's footsteps filled the dead night air as she approached the entrance to the warehouse. Her heart was pounding in her chest as she stepped over rocks a small patches of grass. A few lightning bugs lit up near her as she scoped the area. There was no helicopter in sight. Tony was right; he must have left it somewhere else. Moonlight glistened in the rain drops that covered everything in sight. If it wasn't for the fear that filled her mind, she would have stopped to look at her beautiful surroundings.

It was like a scene out of a movie, and for the first time in her life; she was the star. She listened as the shield on her back made a "whooshing" sound every time she turned. That was one of her favorite things about Steve's shield. When he would throw it, it always made the most amazing sound. Part of her was still wondering how she made it this far. The governments of the world had been looking for Steve and his team for months now, and she just so happened to stumble across their hiding spot?

It almost seemed too easy.

Shaking her doubt from her mind she rounded a large truck before the building came into view. It was very old brick, and looked like it would crumble at any moment. "How they haven't found him yet is beyond me..." She chuckled as she stopped walking, and placed her hands on her hips. "He's hiding in Brooklyn for God's sake...."
Her eyes landed on the doors of the building. Big, metal, and very rusted. There was a chain and pad lock on the handles, and red rust was growing around the frame. The faint sound of cars was heard as she checked her surroundings. Her stealth suit blended perfectly with the night sky as she stood shaking.

Was she really doing this?

The realization of seeing Steve came crashing down on her. If she was to meet him inside, what would she do? How would he react? She looked down at the uniform she wore and began to tug at the fabric. A full blown panic attack was beginning to claim her. After everything that had happened, was waltzing in there really the best plan? Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked down at her hands; the brown leather reminding her of Steve. Everything was moving so fast. It seemed like just yesterday Tony was coming home with Steve's shield. 

She hadn't allowed herself to slow down since the war ended. It had been nothing but one distraction after the other. Anything to keep her busy. She slowly came to terms with everything.

The phone call with Sharon, the talk with T'Challa, forgiving Tony, and the fact that after tonight, both her and Steve might never see each other again.

Her eyes darted around as her breaths became shaky. She felt her chest grow tight as she tried to calm her breathing. She took a few steps back and heard a "Splash" as her foot landed in a puddle. She spun around and looked at her reflection. For a moment she saw Steve staring back at her. His blue eyes seemed to be glowing as he hung his head. She closed her own eyes and shook her head; her hair falling loose of the helmet. Her hands grabbed her head, as she fell to her knees. She felt her chest shake as she tried to calm herself down.

"It's okay. It's okay. It's OKAY!" She yelled as she opened her eyes. Her shaking stopped when she saw her own reflection looking back at her. The water was rippling from the wind, but Y/n saw her own face; not Steve's.

Her fingers traced the strap on her chin and made their way to her ear. She felt the black earpiece there and sighed. It was there in case something like this happened. In case she needed to call in backup because she had broken down. Up until this point, Y/n had alwayed relied on her fellow Avengers to save her. She had been told for so long that she couldn't fight; she realized that she never even tried. It was always her on the sidelines watching The Avengers fight and save her.
Now she knew. She wasn't going to wait around for Tony or Thor or Steve to fight for her. She was going to fight for herself.