Suits You

"Okay, so I'm in a lot of trouble for letting this happen. The boss man is going to have my head. Anyways, Steve got there in a copter so my guess is he'll leave in one. Now if he's smart at all he'll leave the copter somewhere and hightail it to the warehouse on foot. I've got a big meeting, thing, in a few but I wanted to make sure you were okay to head out. If you got hurt I don't know what-"

Tony had no time to finish. His breath got caught in his throat as Y/n stepped out of her room. His brow knitted together as he suppressed the sudden need to sob. Y/n's eyes were on herself as she walked out in front of Tony. She sighed before looking up at him, a want for approval in her eyes. Tony rubbed his chin and shifted from one foot to the other. "Wow......" Was all he managed to say before rubbing his eyes.

"Do..... Do I look silly?" She questioned tugging at the collar of the suit. Tony shook his head as he took in everything about her at that moment in time. She was wearing one of Steve's old "Captain America" uniforms.

It was solid navy blue, except for the brown gloves, belt, and boots. A silver star was adorned on her chest, and three silver line decals shot from a point on the star to her shoulders. A small American Flag was printed in silver on each shoulder, and a brown strap wrapped her back and shoulders. A clip was on the back of the strap, which Steve's shield magnetically connected to. The belt had many different pockets that each held a different devise Tony had given her for protection.

Tony had had it taken in by F.R.I.D.A.Y. so that it would fit Y/n's figure a bit more. Tony watched as she looked down at herself her brow furrowed. It scared him seeing how well the uniform suited her. It was almost like she was born to wear it. He didn't want her leaving to go find Steve in average street clothes. If she was going to go out, on what would be her very first mission, she had to look the part of Agent. Tony decided the best way to do that was to have Y/n fitted for one of Steve's old suites. She didn't want to at first but she soon gave in when Tony begged her enough.

Y/n's eyes got all watery as she tugged the sleeves down a bit more. Tony cocked his head in confusion as he watched her fidgety behavior. Her body language spoke volumes. He could tell by the way she smiled forcefully, and the way she kept tugging at the fabric, that she was uncomfortable. He watched a single tear fall from her eye as she looked up and took a deep breath. He walked forwards and brushed her hair out of her face. "What's wrong?" He questioned trying to look her in the eyes. She dropped her head and chuckled sadly, "What isn't...." She mumbled hoping Tony didn't hear her. "What's that supposed to mean?" He asked, a bit of anger in his voice. He felt a sudden surge of rage as he stared at her. She looked up at him, her hair sticking to her face from tears. "I don't feel right!" She yelled pulling her hair back.

"I shouldn't have this on. This isn't right....... I'm...... I'm....." She threw a gloved hand over her mouth as she choked on the words. She felt like screaming, and crying, and breaking down again, but she knew it was time to be strong. Her hands balled into fists as she looked up at Tony, fear and rage burning in her eyes.

"I'm not Steve."

Tony looked surprised. He placed a hand on her cheek lovingly, "No one is asking you to be...." He whispered as he dropped his hand. She faked a smile as she wiped her eyes.

"What if.... He doesn't care.... What if everything that I've come to realize is just because I can't deal with the fact that I'm not the one?" She questioned. Tony looked at her confused, she simply smiled. "You all think that I'm romantically in love with him. But I'm not. I mean...Sure....Who wouldn't want to be Mrs. America....But....I...." She sighed as she tried to regain her thoughts. "I know about Sharon." She squeaked.

Tony sighed and hung his head; that CIA Agent had been nothing but trouble since day one. "I don't hate her." Y/n began, "It's not like a curse her name every chance I get. Or I plot her murder in my diary.

But sometimes I get this funny feeling, like I'm getting now. Maybe I shouldn't do this? Maybe I should let Sharon be the one to help him..... Maybe that's what he needs." She looked out the window and then to the mirror. She scowled at her reflection and quickly turned away. "I shouldn't be the one to do this..... It should be her.....

But you know what? Deep down..... I often wonder......

Why her?"

Tony let a few tears fall as he sat down. Y/n was fully crying now, every tear fell silently as she tried to regain her composure. "What is it she has that I don't? I've been there for Steve every step of the way. I've been the one to help him up, to watch him grow. It was me. Not her."

She sighed as she sat down; the navy blue fabric crinkling as she shifted.

"But he loves her...... Doesn't he?" She asked as she turned to Tony. He didn't answer. He couldn't even look her in the eyes. Y/n shook her head free of her selfish thoughts. This was not the time to be throwing herself a pity party. T'Challa was awaiting her call, and Steve was in need of a place to run to. She wiped her eyes, and then looked down at her gloved hands. She was wearing Steve's gloves. She wasn't worthy enough to be wearing this suit. She never had been worthy enough of Steve.

She was a nothing compared to Sharon. She wasn't as beautiful, or skilled. She hadn't caught his eye Like Sharon had. And she never would. She and Steve were never meant to be. She was nothing more than a friend to him...... but she was okay with that..... As long as he was happy, she was happy. Even if that meant that she would be alone for the rest of her life.

She stood up and sighed, before wiping her eyes. She looked to Tony and smiled warmly. "I'm doing this for him. He needs someplace to go. I'm the last shot he has, and I'll be damned if I'm not gonna' help him. She stated fixing her boot straps. Tony nodded as he stood up. Y/n watched him disappear around the corner for a moment or two. Her eyes went to her reflection. She did look like Steve. The uniform and everything. It felt odd to see herself in something that he once wore, but at the same time it was amazing.

For the first time in her life, she felt like a real hero.

She watched as Tony appeared in back of her holding Steve's shield. "If you're gonna' fight.... You might need this...." She smiled at him as she took the shield from his hands. It was light in her hands and the metal felt cool against her bare fingers. She studied it for a moment before flipping it and placing it on her arm. She gripped it as tightly as she could, not wanting to ever let go. She turned one last time and looking at herself in the mirror.

For a moment she saw a hero.

An Avenger.

And then she was herself again.

"I'm ready......"