Serena XV

"I think we should find out what exactly the first challenge in the tournament is," I said. "I'm pretty sure the other schools will be doing the same and I don't think anyone is going to bother telling Nico."

   I clenched my fist, and Selena took my hand. "Good idea," she said, we shadow traveled throughout the school grounds, to find Hagrid and Madame Maxime walking towards the woods, followed by Harry. He appeared to be wearing some sort of cloak, it was shimmering and silver-gray.

  Selena gasped, "He must be wearing Thanatos's invisibility cloak!" She whispered excitedly.

  "But I thought he lost it a couple hundred years ago?" I wondered.

   Selena shrugged, we quietly followed them, weaving through the shadows until they stopped and I heard roaring.

  "Look," Selena pointed and I saw flashes of light. We inched closer to get a better view.

   Dragons reared up, their eyes filled with rage, collars buckled around their necks. Wizard scuttled around, waving their wands, painstakingly stunning the magnificent creatures and quieting them.

   I inched closer to hear what Hagrid was muttering to Harry and Maxine, Selena followed.

  "Is'n' it beautiful?" said Hagrid softly.

  "It's no good!" yelled another wizard. "Stunning Spells, on the count of three!"

  We saw each of the dragon keepers pull out their wand.

  "Stupefy!" they shouted in unison, and the Stunning Spells shot into the darkness like fiery rockets, bursting in showers of stars on the dragons' scaly hides —

  I watched the dragon nearest to them teeter dangerously on its back legs; its jaws stretched wide in a silent howl; its nostrils were suddenly devoid of flame, though still smoking — then, very slowly, it fell. Several tons of sinewy, scaly-black dragon hit the ground with a thud that I could have sworn made the trees behind him quake.

  The dragon keepers lowered their wands and walked forward to their fallen charges, each of which was the size of a small hill. They hurried to tighten the chains and fasten them securely to iron pegs, which they forced deep into the ground with their wands.

  "Wan' a closer look?" Hagrid asked Madame Maxime excitedly. The pair of them moved right up to the fence, and Harry followed. The wizard who had warned Hagrid not to come any closer turned, and Harry seemed like he recognized him because he looked very excited. The dragon tamer looked kind of like Ron, but older and had slightly different features.

  "All right, Hagrid?" The dragon tamer panted, coming over to talk. "They should be okay now — we put them out with a Sleeping Draught on the way here, thought it might be better for them to wake up in the dark and the quiet — but, like you saw, they weren't happy, not happy at all —"

  "What breeds you got here, Charlie?" said Hagrid, gazing at the closest dragon, the black one, with something close to reverence. Its eyes were still just open. I could see a strip of gleaming yellow beneath its wrinkled black eyelid.

  "This is a Hungarian Horntail," said Charlie. "There's a Common Welsh Green over there, the smaller one — a Swedish Short-Snout, that blue-gray — a Ukrainian Ironbell, the gray one — and a Chinese Fireball, that's the red."

  Charlie looked around; Madame Maxime was strolling away around the edge of the enclosure, gazing at the Stunned dragons.

  "I didn't know you were bringing her, Hagrid," Charlie said, frowning. "The champions aren't supposed to know what's coming — she's bound to tell her student, isn't she?"