Nico XXVI

We fell on the ground, Harry clinging on Cedric's body and the portkey.

A torrent of sound deafened and confused, around us; there were voices everywhere, footsteps, screams. . . .

Selena and Serena had appeared in the middle of the crowd, with the rest of the demigods and were heading towards us.

Harry remained where he was, his face screwed up against the noise, as though it were a nightmare that would pass. . . .

Albsu seized him roughly and turned him over.

"Harry! Harry!" He opened his eyes.

Albus Dumbledore was crouched over him. The dark shadows of a crowd of people pressed in around them, pushing nearer.

I stood up, "Voldemort is back, he has been resurrected. He killed Cedric, then tied us up."

The face of Cornelius Fudge appeared upside down over Harry; it looked white, appalled.

"My God — Diggory!" it whispered. "Dumbledore — he's dead!"

The words were repeated, the shadowy figures pressing in on them gasped it to those around them . . . and then others shouted it — screeched it — into the night — "He's dead!" "He's dead!" "Cedric Diggory! Dead!"

"Harry, let go of him," I heard Fudge's voice say, fingers trying to pry him from Cedric's limp body, but Harry wouldn't let him go. Then Dumbledore's face, which was still blurred and misted, came closer.
"Harry, you can't help him now. It's over. Let go."

"He wanted me to bring him back," Harry muttered — it seemed important to explain this. "He wanted me to bring him back to his parents. . . ."

"That's right, Harry . . . just let go now. . . ."

Dumbledore bent down, and with extraordinary strength for a man so old and thin, raised Harry from the ground and set him on his feet. Harry swayed. The crowd around them jostled, fighting to get closer, pressing darkly in on us — "What's happened?" "What's wrong with him?" "Diggory's dead!"

"He'll need to go to the hospital wing!" Fudge was saying loudly. "He's ill, he's injured — Dumbledore, Diggory's parents, they're here, they're in the stands. . . ."

"I'll take Harry, Dumbledore, I'll take him —"

"No, I would prefer —"

"Dumbledore, Amos Diggory's running . . . he's coming over. . . . Don't you think you should tell him — before he sees — ?"

"Harry, Nico, stay here —"

Girls were screaming, sobbing hysterically. . . . The scene flickered oddly before my eyes. . . .

"It's all right, son, I've got you . . . come on both of you. . . hospital wing . . ."

"Dumbledore said stay," said Harry thickly.

"What happened?" the man asked at last as he lifted Harry up the stone steps. Clunk. Clunk. Clunk. It was Mad-Eye Moody.

"The cup was a Portkey," I said as we crossed the entrance hall. "Took me, Harry, and Cedric to a graveyard . . . and Voldemort was there . . . Lord Voldemort . . ."

Clunk. Clunk. Clunk. Up the marble stairs....

"The Dark Lord was there? What happened then?"

"Killed Cedric . . . they killed Cedric. . . ."

"And then?"

Clunk. Clunk. Clunk. Along the corridor . . .

"Made a potion . . . got his body back. . . ."