Harry XXXIII

"Do I have to go to the Dursleys?" I asked Dumbledore, frowning as the old man shook his head with a twinkle in his eye.

  "I'm afraid so, my dear boy." Dumbledore said, although I would swear under oath that he looked happy. "Your mother's protection—"

  I barely stopped myself from rolling my eyes or screaming at him. If the demigods were to be believed, my mother was alive—and Dumbledore knew it—if she was alive, her protection wouldn't exist... and I would be able to live with her.

  The demigods had given me a lot to think about, actually. I regretted being such a jerk to them before, but I supposed I just wanted to keep Ron's friendship—not that his friendship was anything worth keeping; the triwizard tournament had certainly proved that. I had Hermione, who I knew would support me without being a jealous brat about it.

  "...join your loving family." Dumbledore finished.

  I blinked at him, torn out of my thoughts of Ron. I realized I had completely missed the entire conversation, but I didn't care. "Whatever," I stormed out dramatically, making sure he could see my displeasure.

  "So?" Hermione, who had been leaning against the wall, pushed off of it as I returned to the hallway outside of the office.

  "Same answer as before," I sighed, "back to torture-land."

  "Or we could kidnap you." Selena suggested, appearing out of a dark corner.

  I jumped a little, not having noticed her because of her all-black attire. It was quite strange seeing her out of Hogwarts uniform.

  "Kidnap him?" Hermione raised an eyebrow, "But that's illegal."

  Selena made a displeased sound, "Not kidnapping, exactly." She shrugged, "Just stealing him from his legal guardians and taking him to New York."

  "That probably counts as kidnapping." Hermione concluded. She glanced at me, "Harry? What do you think?"

  "Sure," I said, "I'd love to be kidnapped."

  "Kidnapping it is, then." Selena grinned, rubbing her hands together. "The Hogwarts Express leaves in fifteen minutes, let's go there and plot your escape."

  "Why not just take me now?" I suggested, "No witnesses."

"Aw," Selena pouted, "but that's the best part." She shrugged. "If we take you in a public place, it'll show that Dumbledore can't control everyone and isn't all-powerful. It'll do good to boost Marvolo's following, too."

  "So are we pretending that the Death Eaters took Harry?" Hermione asked, "I already got my parents to agree to let me go with you to Camp Half-Blood—they'll let me do anything concerning academia—but I don't know if I'd pass for a Death Eater."

  "Leave the kidnapping to Serena and I," Selena said, "You stay with Nico to provide him an alibi. Even though Will and Bianca are there with him, the public would believe 'the brightest-witch-of-her-age' over Draco Malfoy, 'Voldemort's-evil-grandniece', and 'Voldemort's-evil-grandnephew's-boyfriend-who-should-totally-marry-Voldemort's-evil-grandnephew'."

  "I don't think Nico and Will are getting married anytime soon." Serena drawled, appearing next to Selena. "Hey, Selena! I got bored waiting for you three, so I came here." She glanced at Harry, "We still up for the kidnapping scheme?"

  "Yep," Selena nodded, "It will happen about five minutes before we arrive at King's Cross."

  "Got it," Serena affirmed, "All of your stuff is on the train, come on!" She grabbed Hermione's arm and shadow-traveled away.