38.

At this point, I gave up. Tyler was gone without a trace, his mother could care less that her only child has gone missing, and worst of all: He left his phone behind. Our most efficient and memorable form of communication, and he left it abandoned for his parents to find.

I tried to brush off all of the possible thoughts as to where he could possibly be - which had briefly included death, as much as I don't want to admit it - and walked into the library to continue studying for exams. I can't worry about him anymore, he's seventeen. He's old enough to make some of his own decisions.

I placed my laptop onto the wooden surface of an abandoned table and pulled out my textbook to place it next to my decaf coffee and sighed at all of the work that lied ahead of me.

Right as I flipped to about the hundredth page of my book, the same page of the lesson that we had been learning in history, a small slip of pink paper slid out and fluttered down to the table. I stared at it for a full minute. It's not the type of paper that can easily be mistaken as a piece of scrap paper or even an attempt at a makeshift bookmark from a student who had the textbook prior to me. This note was fresh. The edges were crisp, there were not signs of led marks from pencils, and it was free of any crinkles. It was almost impossibly perfect.

I picked it up carefully and pinched the small corners to study it. It may only be a piece of scrap paper, but something about it was intriguing. So, when I finally had the courage to unfold the sides and press down on the edges of where it had once been creased, I was quite surprised.

Hey Skylar,

I'm sorry I had to be in a rush. It was just a bit chilling and I felt as if everything wasn't flowing right. If you have the will to find me, please don't fall. If not, thank you for everything.

-Tyler

My mouth hung open for what felt like hours as I reread my name at the top and the signature of my missing boyfriend at the bottom. It was crazy - as if he planned this far before he even left. What didn't make sense is why he acted as if he wanted to plan a future with me and then thought it would be best to leave without a warning. What was even more confusing was why this note was so strangely written.

I studied it carefully and looked over some of the descriptive words that hadn't made sense: Rush, chilling, flowing, and fall. But what exactly was rushed, was chilling and flowing, and where would fall come into play with all of it? All I knew was that my stomach felt in knots after the fifth time reading it over.

Yet, after piecing together all of the words, it was suddenly clear. Tyler's at the miniature waterfall by our town. Now, the waterfall isn't very impressive, but I can't blame it considering its right outside of a small town. But despite its size, the water still flowed, rushed, and was chilling. And, well, it's a waterfall so that's where the fall part of the clue came from. As much as I want to tell myself I'm crazy for thinking of a waterfall holding Tyler's destiny, it's not completely farfetched. It was actually one of the first field trips we took back in elementary school. While we were there Tyler picked up a rock and gave it to me, saying it was as close to a diamond that he could get for me at the age of eight and a half.

I smiled down at the note and looked it over one more time, which only brought more excitement to me. I may have totally lost my mind, but at this point I'm willing to do anything to get Tyler back. So without a second thought, I shoved the note into my pocket and packed up my books. I promised myself that I would never let a relationship get in a way of my studying, but this is different.

This is about more than just a relationship now.

A/N:
I hope this chapter was okay. I'm definitely going to go back and editing it soon so it flows more easily, but for now I just wanted to upload something so I can continue the daily streak of uploading that I've been successfully keeping. Anyway, thank you so much for all of the support! We're only 500 reads away from 3K! That's amazing! Thank you so much, It really makes my day!