40.

By the time I arrived at the waterfall, the sun was setting and the sound of crickets filled the air. I had blisters burning my skin from the far walk all the way to the outside of town, but because of the situation, going back home and getting a car just seemed like a waste of time. Valuable time that I could be spending with Tyler.

I looked over at the sad attempt called a waterfall. The water trickled over the rocks at a height of only ten feet tall. And below laid a small section of scattered stones. It's not that the steady beat of water and small fall is disappointing, it's just that it doesn't live up to its highly-expected apperence that's advertised around our town as an attraction. What's even sadder is that it's the only thing that our town has to be considered a tourist area.

I moved towards the edge of the water and picked up a small stone. No writing, not signs, no carvings, nothing. Just like all of the other rocks. They're plain and gentle, left untouched for years at a time. And somehow, by the grace of God, I had expected the next clue to be obvious. Or better yet, the final part to finding Tyler.

"Tyler?" I called out as I walked to the side of the falling water. No call back.

"Come on," I yelled out. "I walked all this way and you're not here?" Silence.

I sighed and moved closer to the edge to let my hand intrude on the constant stream of cold water. As I scanned over every small detail and sparkle in the towering wall of stones, I noticed an indent in one of them. It was small enough to go unnoticed to someone passing by, but large enough to see for someone who's actually looking.

I placed my hand inside and pulled out a smooth, grey rock along with a note that had tears in it, as if it was ripped out of a notebook. It's nowhere near as neat as his original note, but anything from Tyler is precious enough for me to appreciate it. Even if it is the worst attempt in the world.

Skylar,

Thank you for making it this far if you have. If you're reading this and you're not Skylar, please put this note back down for my girlfriend and walk away. Stop getting in the way of my relationship with her.

Anyway, thank you. You make me so happy. Don't let anyone tell you anything. You're amazing and you'll always have an audience. Don't worry about your dreams lying on a forever swaying swing. You're perfect.

I miss you,
Tyler.

I reread it over and laughed at the beginning, yet my smile faded as I read farther down. It didn't make sense, not a single part of it. But, when I looked for the code words once again, it seemed at bit clearer.

Swing, audience, and everyone. The three things only connect to one single yet amazing event: Our first kiss. When I first got there, Tyler was on the swings. After our kiss, children stood around and watched. And finally, for the 'everyone' part of the riddle, Tyler has always said that I was not like the other girls and everyone else. And somehow, it made him appreciate me more. So, the only other place he could be would be the park of course.

I smiled as I figured out his puzzle. It was a bit difficult, but it was one that only Tyler and I could think of - or rather, Tyler for that matter on account of the fact that he was the on who thought of every single clue.

I rubbed the stone and looked up at the twilight sky. It's too late to go to the park, curfew is only a few hours away and the hike back home should be brutal enough. As much as I want to see him again, the park around the corner of my house isn't going to be too much of a difference if I wait until the morning. Plus, the blisters on my ankles from walking won't allow me to go any further than I need to.

I placed the rock carefully in my pocket and slipped the shoes off of my feet, leaving me with only socks as I stood in the crisp grass. As much as I want to complain and ask for an alternative way home - for a less painful way to travel - I'd rather be alone in the chilling night so I can reflect on everything, including how much I love the boy who left me only for me to run after him.