Face The Music

I woke up to the alarm clock blaring and the acute sense that I was alone. I rolled to my back and blinked against the sunlight streaming in through the window. I needed to remember to tell Alma not to clean my windows so well.

I got up, feeling more refreshed then I had in a while. I got a quick shower and dried my hair. I didn’t bother straightening it. I wanted my curls today. I managed to acquire a school uniform since they were mandatory. I left my room with my pack slung over my shoulder, letting the smell of a hot breakfast guide me down the stairs towards the kitchen.

“Good morning Cassandra,” Mrs. Marks said. “I trust you slept well.”

Mrs. Marks sat in the proper dinning room, which was just off the kitchen.

“I did, thank you.”

She nodded. “I received an email from your father this morning. He asks that you to stay out of school today. He wants to spend some time with you.”

“I can’t, I have a test.”

She regarded me with cold eyes. I could see her newly formed opinion of me shining through.

“It wasn’t a request, Cassandra. You are to stay here until your father comes to collect you around noon.”

We stood there staring at each other. Finally I nodded and turned to leave.

“One more thing,” she said sharply. I turned back around slowly. “I don’t know you. I don’t trust you. You Earth Daughters are as unpredictable as the power you possess. I’m warning you now that if any harm comes to my children because of you, there will be consequences.”

All I could do was stare at her. I didn’t know what to say. She insulted me and accused me of being the one that would or could harm Peter and Gwen. What the hell was I supposed to say to that?

I didn’t say anything. I just turned and left the room. Gwen was sitting at the island on her usual stool. A plate of pancakes sat in front of her.

“It’s so good to be home,” she mumbled around a mouth full of food.

Alma smiled at her. I sat down on a stool and poured a glass of orange juice.

“Aren’t you going to eat something?” Alma asked.

“I lost my appetite,” I whispered.

“Come on Cass! Have a stack!”

“I’ll pass.”

“You really should eat something,” Alma said. “It’s your first day back to school.”

“Actually it’s not,” I said bitterly. “My father has commanded that I stay here today.”

“What?” Gwen said.

“He wants to spend time with me,” I said mockingly.

“Who wants to spend time with you?” Peter asked coming into the room.

“My father.”

He stopped next to me and took my glass of orange juice. Alma gave him a dirty look and set a fresh, empty glass in front of me.

“Don’t listen,” he said after drinking it down.

He kissed me on the forehead and then refilled both my old glass and my new one.

“Your mother strongly recommends that I don’t do that.”

Peter and Gwen both looked at me curiously.

“When did you talk to Mom?” Gwen asked.

“Before I came in here.”

“Well, you need to go to school,” Alma said. “There is no reason why you should stay out, no valid one anyways. You go on to school, I’ll deal with Mrs. Marks and your…father.”