The Smell of Love is Coffee

I smelled it first, that wonderful smell of coffee. I smiled in my half awake state.

“Cass…Cass…”

I smiled bigger but didn’t open my eyes.

“Wake up, Cass.”

“Mmm. What?”

He chuckled. “I brought you coffee.”

I felt a brush of lips across my forehead.

“What time is it?”

“Early.”

“How early?” I finally cracked an eye open and found him sitting next to me on the bed. “Hi.” I grinned.

“Hey back.” His voice was soft, smooth. “It’s about five.”

“That’s early.” I felt out with my hand and grabbed his arm, pulling him down next to me. “Why are you here?”

“Practice.” He settled down next to me, wrapping an arm around my waist. “I figured I’d bring you coffee as an apology for last night.”

My morning brain wasn’t processing much of what he was saying.

“That’s nice.”

I’d closed my eye after getting a good look at him and I didn’t want to open them now. I snuggled in closer, loving the fact that he was here.

“Cass…” he kissed my forehead, “I can’t stay long.”

“Awww. Why not?”

“Practice,” he chuckled, “I have to get to…”

I kissed him, tired of hearing him talk. Not that I didn’t like when he talked, just that I liked kissing him better. It didn’t even register in my brain that I might have morning breath.

He didn’t seem to mind as he kissed me back, tasting like chocolate and a hint of mint. He ended the kiss and pressed his forehead against mine.

“You are unbelievable when you’re not very awake.”

I smiled and finally opened my eyes to look at him. “I’m awake now.”

He grinned down at me. “Is that so?”

I nodded and kissed him again, rolling so he was on top, the comforter mushed between us. I touched his arms for a second, noticing they were clad in leather and then moved them to cup his face.

When we finally stopped making out, I sat up while Peter lay his head in my lap, looking up at me.

“Good morning,” I said.

He smiled. “It’s definitely that.”

“Hmm.” I ran my fingers through his hair. “You know this is way too early for me on a Friday.”

“I know but I wanted to see you and apologize.”

“You did good bringing coffee. It’s always a good bargaining chip.” I yawned. “By the way, I need you to melt some flowers.”

He frowned. “Melt some flowers? Are you sure you’re awake.”

I popped him on the chest but he caught my hand, pressing my open palm to his lips.

“Where are these flowers?”

“Closet. I didn’t want to look at them.”

He laughed and got up, squeezing my hand slightly before jogging over to the closet. I grabbed my coffee off the nightstand and watched him. Sometimes I really thought…