Ice, Ice Baby

“How bad is it?”

Peter sat on the end of my bed and carefully lifted the hem of my shirt.

“It’s not…too bad. Your shirt acted as a buffer. I think it got the worse of it.”

He reached over and grabbed something out of the first aid kit.

“Is it going to scar?”

He chuckled. “Well…it’s a second degree burn. So…cold compress.”

Well at least the ghost did something right. Peter got up and went to my small fridge. He pulled out an ice pack one would use in a lunch box.

“Here,” he tossed it to me, “press that against the burn.”

I looked from him to ice pack. “This is going to fix it?”

He smiled. “No. That is going to take the sting away.” He ducked into the bathroom and grabbed a pill bottle. “And this is going to take the pain away.”

“How very nice of you.”

He brought over four Tylenol and a bottle of water. He took over holding the ice pack while I downed the pills and half the bottle of water.

“When did you become medically inclined?”

He chuckled. “I’m a firestarter remember? I deal with burns all the time. Tomorrow morning I’ll give Alma a call and have her cook up some of her burn cure.”

“Burn cure?”

I’d never heard of a burn cure. Then again I was only sixteen and Alma…was infinitely older. There were probably tons of things she knew that I didn’t.

“Alma’s been taking care of my burns for ages, Gwen’s too. All thought Gwen has a couple less incidents than I do.”

I found that hard to believe. But then I remembered that I’d seen Peter use his powers more than Gwen. I smiled and rested my head on his chest. “Did I tell you how much I hate ghosts?”

He picked up a lock of my hair. “I can honestly say I hate them too. Looks like this one froze your hair.”

I laughed. “He could’ve done worse.”

“So it was a he?” He lifted the ice pack and looked. “What did he look like?”

“Eh, nothing spectacular. I don’t even know how I was able to see him. I’ve never looked at a picture with him in it. I would’ve remembered.”

“Should I be worried?”

I looked up at him, trying to tell if he was joking or not. “About the ghost?” He nodded. “I don’t think so. He’ll spill his beans eventually.”

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to talk to Peter about the ghost. There was no harm in it, I was sure, but there was something about this ghost I wanted to keep to myself, at least until I knew what he wanted. The fact that he was complacent with his ghost-dom scared me a little.

“Can I ask you something?”

I patted the front of his shirt. “Sure.” We were still standing there, pressed together. He was still holding the ice pack while his other hand rested on the small of my back.

“Will you go to the Harvest Formal with me?”

I sputtered and started laughing. “Are you serious?” He nodded. “Um…I guess?”

“Did you just frame that as a question?”

“Yes?”

He looked up at the ceiling, grinning. “You are unbelievable.”