Run-in With The New Kid

“So, what is he again?” Bren asked.

I tried not to roll my eyes. I had to say it a few times already since Gwen was in full girlfriend-so-in-love mode. In another words, she was distracting him.

“He’s an ice warlock.”

We’d all convened in my study after the final bell. I filled them in as quickly as possible, omitting the part about the ghost.

“That’s insane,” Gwen commented, finally joining our conversation. “I didn’t think anymore existed.”

I shrugged. That was the rumor going around. According to the history books, ice warlocks dominated in the early 1800’s but disappeared around the turn of the century. No one knew why and no one really cared to. Ice warlocks were dangerous, mostly because they could freeze any one person with just a look.

I shivered and pressed closer to my personal heater.

“Well man,” Bren said, patting Peter’s shoulder, “We have to get to practice.”

“Bren!” Gwen exclaimed.

“What?” Bren looked at her.

“You’re being insensitive. Cass has a real problem here. I don’t think I want her living next to an ice warlock. He really did a number on your hair,” she directed towards me.

I glared at her. “Thanks for that.”

“No problem!” she said cheerfully.

“Still got to get to practice.”

Gwen popped him on the back of the head.

“No, no, he’s right. I’ll be just fine. Go to practice. I’ll see you after.” I looked at Peter and he was frowning. “Stop worrying.”

He nodded slightly. “Alright. I’ll be back after practice. Then we can go home for some dinner.”

“Actually,” Bren cut in, “I have to take a rain check on dinner tonight. My mother is starting to worry.”

I snickered. If his mother only knew what he was doing instead of being at home. Then again she might already know. My amusement was short lived as Gwen sent me a glare. I straightened my face and gave her a friendly smile.

“I’m getting a ride with the last of my stuff. Will you be ok alone?”

“Guys, I’m not four years old. I can stay by myself.”

“Every time we leave you alone something happens,” Gwen said getting up from where she was perched on Bren’s lap. “I mean, look at the state of your hair.” She picked up a lock with two fingers. “If the ghost wasn’t already dead, I’d kill him.”

I batted her hand away. “My hair is fine. And I’ll be fine. Everyone needs to stop freaking out every time a ghost shows up. It’s going to happen.”

“If you’re sure,” Peter said quietly. “Bren and I will be down on the practice fields if you need us…or get bored.”

I smiled at him. “Is that a subtle hint?”

“I’ll meet you downstairs man,” Bren said, Gwen trying to drag him out of the room.

Peter nodded and Gwen gave me a small wave before the door was closed behind them. I turned my attention back to Peter and he was frowning, worry lines creasing between his eyebrows.

“You shouldn’t worry. I don’t think he meant anything by it.”

“How can you say that? He nearly froze you in front of everyone, me.”