The Name of the Game Is...Snapdragon

I stared at him and he stared back. The room grew colder with each second I didn’t say anything, as he waited for my explanation.

My ice ghost flickered into existence next to me.

“You pissed him off? Why’d you go and do that for?”

I glanced at him, hoping he got the message that right now wasn’t the time to scold me.

“Answer my question,” Darken said.

His voice was low and very chilly.

“A ghost gave it to me.” I dragged my eyes away from my ice ghost and looked at Darken. “I believe you know him.”

All the chill was sucked out of the room and Darken stood a little taller.

“You’ve spoken with him?” I nodded. “When?”

“The night before you got here he showed up. Apparently the two of you have a tendency to want to freeze me to death.”

Darken went into action, grabbing a blanket off the end of my bed and dropping it around my shoulders.

This was very…weird.

He ushered me into my study where he proceeded to start a fire in the fireplace.

“You don’t have to do that…”

He shot me a look while the ghost leaned against the doorway.

“My brother always was the civil one.” I shot the ghost a look but he just shrugged. “It’s the truth. Besides, if you would’ve just delivered my message instead of messing around…”

“I wasn’t messing around,” I whispered.

“What was that?” Darken asked.

“Nothing.” I looked at him and gave him my best smile. “Look, I’ll just tell you what your brother asked me to and then you can go.”

He sat back on his feet and frowned. “You have a message from my brother?” He got up and approached me. I swallowed and tried not to look too scared. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

“Well, it’s not exactly the best opening line. I don’t enjoy being the go between for living and the dead. It’s a little freaky, you know.”

“I’m sorry. Sometimes I forget how difficult it can be for others…”

“Blah, blah, blah,” the ghost’s voice drowned out Darken’s apology. “Deliver my message already.”

I glared at him. I really wanted to tell him to take his message and shove it, find another banshee witch to deliver his stupid message. But of course I didn’t because for some reason I had a soft spot for this ghost.

And he knew it.

That’s why he was smiling at me like he knew what I was thinking.

“Your brother wants you to be careful.” I looked at Darken. His mouth was halfway open and I realized I must’ve cut him off mid sentence or word or something. “I don’t know why or what for. He didn’t tell me that part.”

“Anything else?” he asked just as the ghost said, “And…”

“Drake isn’t who he says he is? Does that make sense to you because I have no clue what it means.”

His blue eyes got scary again.

“Anything else?”

I looked at the ghost and raised my eyebrows. He was studying his brother, however, sizing him up…