To Blame or Not To Blame

“Marks! What are you doing? Focus! What’s with you today?”

I snickered and sat down at the picnic table facing the field. I glanced up to see what was going on but I couldn’t tell Peter from the other. I looked at the bleachers straight across the field from me. There were at least three rows full of girls.

Good lord the football team had groupies.

A few of them even gave me dirty looks. I just rolled my eyes behind my sunglasses and got to my homework. Time passed quicker than I thought. I even got used to hearing the “blue 32” and “hike, hike”. Why anyone enjoyed football was beyond me. Soccer was more my speed.

I finished my homework and started in on my English reading. For some god awful reason, the teacher assigned us Shakespeare. I’d already read Shakespeare but was doing the reading just for the refresher. Currently I was on Othello and trying not to fall asleep.

I’d just gotten to the part where Iago was convincing Othello that Desdemona was cheating when someone tapped my book. I looked up and crystal blue eyes looked down at me.

I choked on my own spit and quickly tried to cover it by speaking.

“What are you doing here?” was what I meant to say. Instead it came out more like, “…t are yo er?”

He raised an eyebrow and settled on the bench in front of me, ignoring my motions of protest. I looked over at the field, hoping Peter hadn’t noticed him but found everyone was gone. Paper cups and water jugs were all that remained.

I tried speaking again and my previous statement came out clear as a bell this time.

“What are you doing here?”

He looked at me and I made an effort to look at a point just over his left shoulder.

“I came to see what all the fuss was about.”

“Fuss? What fuss? No one made a fuss.”

“You did when you politely slammed your door in my face.”

I winced. I knew that would come back and bite me in the ass.

“Is there something you wanted in particular?” He smiled. “Besides my name?”

“Yes. I wanted to apologize for earlier.”

“Oh? You didn’t mean to knock on my door? That’s a relief.”

“No,” he said dryly. “I meant for this morning.”

“Oh. That.”

“Yes. That.”

“Don’t worry about it. I haven’t suffered permanent damage.”

“How is that exactly?”

“How is what?”

I loved playing stupid. It let me figure out how much he knew and how much he didn’t. But it looked like he was getting annoyed with my faked air headedness.

“How did you survive?” he said through clenched teeth.

“So you meant to do it?”

“Of course not,” he sounded offended, “but most normal people don’t survive.”

“Maybe you should wear sunglasses,” I joked. “Oh and I’m not normal.”

“I know. As soon as you mentioned Ireland, I pieced it together. I know who and what you are.”

My eyebrows shot up. “Really?”

“You are Daughter of the Earth, a truth sayer.”

“That’s a new one. Most people can’t guess.”