Still A Little Bit Of Your Ghost

When Alma came back she was laughing.

“That lad just doesn’t seem to know what no means.”

“What do you mean?”

She sat down next to me and took my hand.

“I do believe you have my Peter completely up in arms. He drove off campus during lunch to come see you.”

I rolled my eyes. “Is he trying to get into trouble?”

“He’s just worried about you, lass. When his father told him last night that you woke up, he tried to come back then. But Carter convinced him it was after visiting hours and even if he did drive here to see you, he'd be stopped at the nurse's station.”

“And then this morning when he tried to come back…”

“His mother prevented him. So he thought he’d be able to see you during lunch but yet again he was prevented. His father is following him back to the school to ensure he goes back.”

“He does realize I’m not going anywhere right? Dad said more than likely they’re going to keep me here for a few more days.”

I knew why she was here and it just wasn’t to keep me company and visit. But I didn’t want it. I could get through this on my own.

And Alma knew it too.

That’s why she was smiling at me now. She knew the whole time that I wouldn’t want her to heal me. But she stayed just to give me an option.

“How’s Steven?”

She grinned. “He’s just fine, lass. The way he’s going, he’ll get out quicker than you will.”

“And Murphy?”

“He’s living it up at the house. He follows Carter and Peter around the most.”

“You know he’ll probably skip football practice.”

“Oh I know he will and if I know him as well as I think I do, he’ll be here in ten minutes.”

“But I thought you said…”

“And it’s true but I also know Carter Marks isn’t planning on sitting in that parking lot all day. Peter will be here before you know it.”

“I hope so,” I whispered.

My ghost came back as soon as the door closed behind Alma. I didn’t mind, he was better company than no one at all. Then again my father was giving me that look that told me he would never let me out of his sight again. Maybe no company wasn’t a bad idea.

I didn’t have to worry about that from my ghost though. He could stay forever and no one would see him but me.

And maybe Alma.

And others if what they said was true…

“How about Henry?”

He laughed and I swear if he was real, the pictures on the wall would be shaking.

“Henry? Really? I’m Russian not English.

“Then how about Dimetri? You look like a Dimetri.”

“I knew a Dimetri back in Russia. He wasn’t very friendly.”

“I was thinking more along the lines of young adult book heartthrobs but I guess your reasoning works too…um…” I shook my head, “I don’t know. I’m not versed in Russian names.”

“What’s so wrong with the name I have?”

“I don’t know. Maybe it’s because you act nothing like your uncle or your brother. I feel like I have to change it to differentiate.”