Chapter 4 - 'Your Eyes Are Really Pretty And Blue'

Everyone stayed really late that first day. A songwriter called J Kash came in at around ten and he really helped with the chorus of the song. Ashton did some crazy stuff on the keyboard and I just watched in awe.

Fran came and sat next to me and said, "I know you can sing. And play the guitar."

I looked at her in surprise. "Uh... how?"

"You're part of one of the groups at UCLA. Just because I've never met or seen you before doesn't mean I haven't heard of you. And from what I've heard, you're really good. Surely at least Kate must know?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, Kate knows," I said.

"So why did you say that you didn't sing to the band?" she asked me in confusion.

I shrugged. "I don't know, I guess I feel intimidated. I wouldn't want them to ask me to sing in front of them or something."

She regarded me for a moment. "Fair enough, I suppose. But I'm sure you're good enough that you shouldn't feel intimidated."

I just shrugged again.

It got really late and everyone started to head home. Kate asked if I could stay and clear up which I supposed I had to do, since it was kind of my job. Fran offered to help but I declined and told her she should just go home.

In the end, it was Calum, Luke and me. They were doing some last minute stuff on the song, which now had the title, 'Waste The Night'. I had to say, it sounded really good.

I was going around clearing up coffee cups and chip packets when I heard Calum say, "You know, you don't need to do all this. It's our mess, we should clean it up."

I turned to him and was about to reply when Luke cut me off. "It's kind of her job."

I stiffened but didn't say anything. Instead I carried on cleaning up while Calum muttered, "Luke, stop being a dick."

"No, he's right," I mumbled.

Calum sighed. "Fine. I'm gonna go. I'll see you on Wednesday, Noelle."

I gave him a half-smile as he left, which faded as I realized I was now alone with Luke.

There was a long silence. It was finally broken when Luke said, "Look, I didn't mean to be a dick."

I turned to him in surprise, which he seemed to notice because he glared at me and continued, "Don't act so surprised. I'm not... I'm not that bad."

"Could've fooled me," I said quietly, but Luke heard. He didn't reply but instead began helping me pick the rubbish.

"You don't need to do that," I said in slight exasperation. "Seriously. Leave it, I'm supposed to be doing it."

"I'm helping, okay?" he said sharply, and I shut up.

We cleared the rest of the room in silence and after it was done I looked at my feet and mumbled, "Thanks for helping."

Luke didn't reply for a moment, and then he said, "Why do you never look me in the eye?"

At that I glanced up at him to see him frowning at me. "What?"

"You heard me." 

"Uh, I don't know... I guess you're in this world famous band and I'm just a student, and it's... it's weird. Plus, your eyes are really pretty and blue."

When I realized what I'd just said, I blushed furiously and looked away again. I could not believe I said that. But Luke surprised me the second time today by laughing. My blush deepened not just because he was laughing at me, but also because he had a seriously beautiful laugh. I mean he has to have a gorgeous face and a gorgeous laugh as well? Now that's just unfair.