Chapter 14 - 'Doesn't He Look Like A Badass?'

When we got back to Luke's car, he stepped in front of me.

"Noelle," he said, and when I carried on looking at the ground, Luke gently placed a hand on my cheek, forcing me to look up at him. "It's okay to be upset, you know."

"Who said I was upset?" I said lightly. Luke frowned.

"I'm not stupid, Noh. I would be very surprised if you weren't upset."

I sighed. "I- I haven't really thought about it all, to be honest." But now I was. And I could feel tears pooling in my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. "Anyway. I'll see you tomorrow."

Luke regarded me for a while. "Yeah. Thanks for patching me up. Who knew you could be such a good doctor?"

I smiled. "There are many things you don't know about me, Hemmings."

"I'm sure." He seemed to consider something before making up his mind and stepping forward, he wrapped his arms around me and buried his nose in my hair. I exhaled slowly and hugged him back, letting my forehead rest against his soft t-shirt and feeling his scent envelop me. Wow, he did smell good. I was going to have to tell Jess that later. I pushed those thoughts out of my mind as I trailed my hands down Luke's back before letting go and stepping away. That hug caused a whole mixture of feelings inside me.

"Pick you up at like twelve?" Luke suggested, looking down at me. Standing right next to him really reminded me of how tall and broad he was.

"Uh, maybe earlier. Unlike you guys, I usually like to be on time," I said with a raised eyebrow.

"What's the fun in that?" he questioned, snickering.

"You may get to do what you want, popstar, but this is an internship for me and Kate will get pissed if I show up late," I told Luke, pointing at him. "Can you pick me up at half eleven?"

Luke furrowed his eyebrows playfully. "Maybe if you ask nicely."

I rolled my eyes. "Please may you pick me up at half eleven tomorrow?"

"Hmm. Try again."

I sighed but I was smiling. "Please, Luke, best person in the world, can you pick me up at half eleven tomorrow?"

A small grin appeared on his lips but then he winced. "Ow. I've got to stop doing that. And, um, am I your favorite person in the world?"

"Sure."

"That wasn't very convincing."

"Yes, Luke, you are my favorite person in the world, my best friend, and I would really appreciate it if you picked me up at eleven-thirty tomorrow morning so I'm not late," I said, beaming up at him.

"Fine." He observed me for a moment before stepping forward and leaning down. His forehead rested against mine and his nose brushed my own. "You're my best friend, too."

My cheeks heated up and I felt my heart thump loudly in my chest. "Good to know."

"Mm." Luke stepped away, smirking at my red face. "See you at eleven-thirty tomorrow."

"I'll be waiting, and you better be on time," I said sternly. Finally he got in the car and waved at me as he drove off. I let out a long breath. Suddenly I thought I heard rustling behind me and I whipped around. I couldn't see anyone there, but I still hurried off to back to my dorm room very quickly. I wasn't a fan of the dark.

When I got back, it wasn't just Jess there. George was waiting and he looked very excited.

"Luke beat up Nathan for you? That is so hot," he exclaimed immediately.