Chapter 21 - 'It Was A Romantic Atmosphere'

The light streaming through the thin curtains woke me, causing me to groan and rub my eyes. Keeping them closed, I felt around on my bedside table for my phone and grabbed it, unlocking it and cracking open one eye to check the time. When I saw it was half eight, I sighed to myself. It was too early to be up. I closed my eyes again; willing myself to go back to sleep, but it was no use. I was completely awake now. I sat up, putting my head in my hands before stretching and yawning. I reached over and pulled open the curtains, looking out the window, admiring my view of the grass and trees, and further away, the beach.

I pushed the duvet off me and got up, tiptoeing to my door and opening it, peering out. No one else was awake. My eyes went to Luke's door, opposite mine, and I noticed it was ajar. I grinned to myself and crept towards it, quietly opening it and peeking in. Luke was still asleep, curled up tightly with the duvet pulled right up to his chin. I smiled slightly at how adorable he looked before completely entering his room and shutting the door behind me.

I cautiously walked over and got into the other side of the bed, slipping under the duvet. Luke stayed asleep but turned over so that he was facing me, strands of blond hair hanging over his face. Without thinking, I lifted up my hand and brushed them back off his forehead, allowing me to see more of his face. As I was doing this, Luke stirred and slowly opened his eyes, blinking away the sleep. When he focused on me, he groaned slightly.

"It's too early."

"Morning to you too," I whispered with a smile.

He sighed and buried his face in the pillow, saying in a muffled voice, "Why are you awake?"

I shrugged slightly. "Sun woke me up." I shifted so I was a bit more comfortable, my head resting next to Luke's on the pillow.

"Mm." He faced me again and a grin made its way onto his face. "You look like a panda."

"What?" I wiped under my eyes and sure enough, the tips of my fingers were black. I must have forgotten to take off my makeup last night. "Ugh." I very quickly got out of bed and went into the bathroom to take my makeup off. I also tied my hair into a bun and patted my face dry before going back to Luke's bedroom and sliding under the covers again as Luke observed me with a smirk.

"Better?" I questioned, getting comfy.

"I didn't say it looked bad. I happen to think pandas are really cute."

I laughed softly and shuffled closer. "Good to know."

"Mm hm." Luke moved so that his nose was buried in my hair and his arm was wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer to him. Our legs were tangled together and I rested my forehead against his bare chest. My eyes drifted shut, but I didn't go to sleep. I was just dozing. Luke on the other hand seemed to have gone back to sleep since his breathing became slower and steadier. I turned my head slightly so that my ear was pressed against his chest, and faintly I could hear the regular beating of his heart. I sighed in contentment, almost wishing I could wake up like this everyday.

I wasn't sure how long we lay there, but after a while I could sense Luke had woken up since his heart began beating slightly faster and his fingers curled up against my back.

"Hey Luke?" I murmured, smiling slightly.

"Yeah."

"Your heart's beating kind of fast."

He laughed lightly, rolling onto his back and rubbing his eyes. "Wonder why."

I grinned and propped myself up on one elbow, yawning. "What's the time?"

"Don't know."

"Helpful. We should probably go downstairs," I mumbled, beginning to sit up. Luke however groaned and wrapped an arm round my waist, pulling me back down so that I landed half on top of him with a huff.