Chapter 22 - 'You're Doing The Weird Staring Thing Again'

For the rest of the day, John, the band and I were just coming up with ideas for songs and noting them down. Luke and I seemed to be on good terms, as did Luke and Michael, so I assumed Luke still knew nothing about Michael walking in on me. We finished working at around 5:30 just as it was beginning to get dark. John had gone into the small town to meet with a couple of friends or something, while the rest of us sat on the beach, chatting as the sun was setting. The wind had completely died down and although it wasn't particularly warm, all of us were happy to stay outside.

While the boys were talking non-stop, I sat quietly, watching the beautiful oranges and reds seep across the sky, reflected in the ocean stretching out before us. Gradually, the sun began to dip below the horizon until it had completely vanished leaving only a trail of colors behind. I sighed to myself, closing my eyes and letting the sounds and smells wash over me, feeling completely content.

"Hey Noelle?" came Luke's voice suddenly, right by my ear, and I jumped, my eyes snapping open.

"What?" I said, turning my head only to find his face inches from mine. I cleared my throat, my eyes flickering to Calum, Ashton and Michael sat on the other side of him. All of a sudden, Michael looked up at us, his gaze meeting mine, and some emotion flashed across his face before he looked away with a blank expression. If I didn't know any better I would have said it looked like he was jealous. But that was stupid. I turned my attention back to Luke, and said before he could continue, "You know, you might want to cut down on the flirty stuff in front of the rest of the band."

Luke raised an eyebrow innocently, moving back a little to look at me. "What flirty stuff?"

I gave him a look. "Oh, maybe just everything you say? That flirty stuff."

He moved back further, not saying anything but just watching me slightly curiously. Finally he looked away towards the sea and said, "Uh, okay."

I blinked. Now I felt as if I had offended him in some way. I didn't say anything else, and neither did he. He watched the ocean while I watched him. After a while, Luke said quietly, "Noelle, you're doing the weird staring thing again."

A laugh slipped past my lips and I pushed him, happy we were still okay. He exaggerated the fall and fell onto Ashton, who fell onto Michael, who began to fall onto Calum, who groaned and moved out the way so Michael fell onto sand.

"Now I've got fucking sand in my hair," Michael complained, and we all laughed. "Oh, you're all laughing, but how would you like it if I put sand in your hair?" He scooped up a handful of sand and we all got up very quickly.

"Don't even think about it," Calum warned, and Ashton and Luke both picked up some sand as well, ready to retaliate. Michael's eyes landed on me.

"No, Michael, don't, I swear to–" I began to back away but Michael was faster. Sand was suddenly in my hair and Michael was laughing. I gasped and glared at him.

"Michael!" I shook my hair, trying to get some of the sand out. "You're such a–"

"Amazing person? I know," he finished.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, sure, because that was what I was about to say."

"I would hope so."

I shook my head slightly, my gaze turning to Luke, whose eyes were flickering between Michael and me. I smiled slightly at him, and then laughed as Ashton picked up Calum in a fireman's lift, running around with him.

The rest of the evening passed in a similar way with the boys playing jokes not just on each other but on me too. We stayed out on the beach until it was extremely dark and John arrived back telling us to get our butts inside if we didn't want to freeze. We all traipsed back into the house, saying goodnight and going into our separate rooms. I changed into my oversized t-shirt and put some joggers on underneath before quickly going into the bathroom to clean my teeth and take off any makeup I'd been wearing, which wasn't much. I made my way back to my room and shut the door behind me, sliding under the covers and pulling them right up to my chin. I closed my eyes and tried to relax, but even though it was almost one in the morning, I wasn't tired. I tossed and turned, trying to get comfy, but it was no use. I couldn't get to sleep. I groaned quietly and sat up, running my hands through my hair and glancing at the time. It was now quarter to two. I sighed and glanced at the door, considering something in my head. Finally I made up my mind and got out of bed, tiptoeing towards the door. I placed my hand on the handle, breathed out slowly, and then exited my room.