Chapter 24 - 'You're On Thin Ice, Nigel'

"Oh hell fucking no," Luke growled and immediately got up, making his way towards the door. This was not going to end well.

The receptionist looked slightly confused. "Do you want me to tell him–"

"I'll deal with it," Luke said, already out of the room and walking towards the elevators. I quickly followed him, thanking the receptionist.

"Luke, wait–" The elevator dinged and the doors slid open. Luke stepped in without a backwards glance, and I quickly slipped in after him. "Luke, what are you–"

"Why is he coming to see you?" he asked, his jaw and fists clenched.

"I don't know," I said in frustration. "But you can't just go down there and–"

"I can, and I will." Luke kept on staring ahead, his expression hard.

"You can't punch him again, Luke," I stated, stepping in front of him so he had to look at me. "What are you even planning to say?"

He shrugged. "I was just going to go on the spur of the moment. See how I feel. Might feel a little angry when I see his stupid face, though."

We reached the bottom level and the doors opened. Luke strode out and through reception with me almost jogging to keep up. I could see Nathan. He was holding flowers.

For fuck's sake.

He didn't look surprised to see Luke, who had stopped less than a meter away, his fists curled into tight balls by his side. Then his eyes drifted to me, and they softened.

Now I really wanted to punch him.

"Hey, Noelle." His voice was gentle. "Look, I'm sorry for coming in like this, but I had to talk to you. You weren't replying to my texts."

I merely rolled my eyes. "Do you really have to question why?"

Luke turned towards me, saying slowly, "He's been texting you?"

I ignored him. "What do you want, Nathan?"

"I just... wanted to be able to talk to you. Face to face. Alone," he emphasized, throwing a look at Luke, who just smirked.

"I'm not going anywhere, Norman."

Nathan didn't react but returned his gaze to me. "What, is he your fucking guard dog now, or something?"

I narrowed my eyes, while Luke said dangerously, "You're on thin ice, Nigel."

"Look, man, I really don't care what you say. I just want to talk to Noelle without you speaking for her the whole time."

"Uh, yeah, 'her' is right here," I said, irritated. "Jesus Christ, Nathan, you just don't give up. Fine, let's just go–"

"You're not going anywhere with him," Luke interrupted, stepping in front of me with his arms folded.

I raised an eyebrow. "I wasn't aware I had to do whatever you told me?"

Luke closed his eyes for a second before saying quietly, "Come on, snowflake, you can't seriously want to talk to this prick?"

His use of my nickname had me wavering, but I stood my ground. "I don't want to, particularly, but I'm willing to hear him out."

I wasn't that willing. But Luke had pissed me off by telling me what to do, so now I had the urge to do whatever he didn't want me to do. Childish, I know.

Luke just stared at me with an unreadable expression on his face, and when he didn't say anything else, I stepped past him and said to Nathan, "Let's just... go outside."