68: Rest In Peace

This wasn't a tag or request or anything, but I feel like I need to says something about this shit storm that's gone down over the weekend.

WARNING: THIS PART WILL INCLUDE LANGUAGE AND TERRORISM AND DESCRIPTIONS OF SAID TERRORIST ACTS. IF THIS MAKES YOU ANGRY, GOOD, BUT IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE IT, I SUGGEST YOU EXIT NOW.

The shooting yesterday was absolutely horrible. An American man of Islamic faith walked into a gay bar in Orlando, Florida, and shot and killed fifty people, wounding fifty-three. It's the largest isolated shooting in American history.

I can't say how angry this makes me. Who the hell does something like that? Nevertheless, I will continue to pray for the people who are still with us and the families of those who were lost.

As bad as that was, this next one has me in tears.

As some of you know, Christina Grimmie is... was a wonderful singer who was on The Voice in 2014, making it to the top three. She had a YouTube channel, zeldaxlove64, and was touring the country when she stopped in Orlando, Florida, to do a small concert and signing.

She was signing CDs for fans when Kevin James, claiming to be some sort of crazy fan, walked up to her and shot her three times in the chest, then shot himself. Her brother was there when this happened. She was rushed to a hospital and was pronounced dead early June 11th.

As someone who's been watching Christina since 2012, I feel like I've been shot, too. I remember her when she had black, teased hair and played on her little electronic keyboard in her room. I remember her before The Voice and was ecstatic when she picked Team Adam after a four chair turn-around.

The fact that she's gone, at only twenty-two, makes me fucking sick. Who the hell shoots a girl that young? Who the hell shoots someone that good and pure and wonderful? I can't explain the anger I feel towards this person, but I will say this: I am glad that he wasn't able to be arrested. He deserved everything he got.

Having said that, I will keep her family in my thoughts and prayers for as long as they need it. If I am feeling this much a loss, then I am certain that the Grimmie family is feeling it a million times worse. I hope that they can take some comfort in the fact that she went quickly and is in a better place, but I know that those shallow thoughts won't help them feel better for a long, long time.

All I can keep thinking is, "She's really gone?"

Rest in peace, Christina. Rest in peace, everyone. I hope to God that one day these senseless acts of violence will end.

"Sometimes God allows terrible things to happen in your life, and you don't know why. But that doesn't mean you should stop trusting Him."

- Christina Grimmie