❧ Friends ☙

Summer was passing with the speed of light. I went to France for few weeks to meet my friends there and for the one year anniversary from my mother's death. I realized that I've somehow changed, I wasn't so elegant and well mannered anymore compared to my Beauxbatons friends. The sarcastic character, passed from my father to me, was seen as rude in the eyes of the girls I used to study with. I wasn't as graceful as them anymore. The only thing that I haven't change was the fact that I was still single. Sadly, I couldn't say the same for them. Most of the time I was listening to them complaining from their boyfriends, or them worshiping their boyfriends. It depended on their mood and what the guys did that day for them. Even Lydia wasn't talking so much about Miles. In the end I just wanted to return back home in Ireland.
After I returned things started to go in their usual way. Dad was mostly at work, due to the fact that Ireland will be playing for the Quidditch World Cup. His free time was busy with Miss Victoria Hill, the healer of the team. She was kind and beautiful, but not as my mother. I knew it was wrong to compare them, but still I did. I found it hard to get used to the fact that I was living with another woman. We did few attempts to find things in common, but for now the only thing was my dad. At first I didn't mind cooking every night, but with the passing time I began to get annoyed by it. She was literally a princess at home. I was doing the house work, since it was my home and I was the woman there, but now she was living there as well. I repeated to myself that it was only for the summer and then she had good nine months in which she will have to survive the housekeeping.
A day which was different from the others was my birthday and since Tristan was born one day before me, we celebrated together. His parents allowed us to use the house in the mountains for the party. We were there for three days with Miles and Lydia and it was quite fun. The second and the third day were just chilling, while the first one was the party which I had no idea that Tristan invited so many people, including my friends from France. It was something like my birthday gift from him, of course I was happy to see them, despite the fact that I wanted to run away from them the previous month.
The party was wild. There was lots of snogging and dancing. I felt a bit uncomfortable being surrounded by couples making out, but the dance floor was my sanctuary. Tristan and Miles were having a drinking game, which didn't end good for both of them. Lydia and I had to drag them upstairs to their rooms and leave them sleep. If it wasn't her I doubt I could handle the wildness of the party, after the boys passed out. The result of the after party were lots of broken glasses and plates, which we repaired for half an hour, thank Merlin that there was magic. We used a spell on the mop to clean the place and around six at the morning the house was like new. Lyd and I fell asleep on the sofa and I dare say it was the deepest sleep I had since years. The next two days as I said went in a chilling mode - walking around the forest, playing games and watching movies from the television.
When I returned back home, I realized that during these three days Tristan was more relaxed than I've ever seen him. He was smiling and laughing most of the time, and what was more surprising was the fact that he wasn't tensed by my presence.
Soon July was gone and August was at its end. The 442nd Quidditch World Cup final was held on 22 August in England. It was the first time I attended in such huge event. Good thing Tristan was familiar with it, so he could show me around without getting us lost.
I was buying souvenirs for my friends from France when I spotted familiar red heads. Tristan saw Miles and Lydia and went to call them, so I was standing alone. They had grown even taller, if that was possible. Their hair got longer and their faces weren't chubby anymore. They looked somehow handsome. One of them looked at my direction and our eyes locked. I guess I stared for way too long. When he spotted me a smirk appeared on his face and he nudged his twin. I quickly looked down pretending to mind my business, hoping they won't come. But I was foolish to even hope for such thing.
"Well, well, well. Look what we found here, George." A voice called from behind. Fred peeked from the right side of my head and gave me a bright smile.
"Hello, Weasley." I greeted turning around with pride.
"Blimey, Gee. Are you still mad at us?" George asked with a chuckle in his tone.
I stayed in silence, I wasn't mad about it anymore, but I was offended that I didn't even receive a card from them for my birthday, while Lee and even Hermione Granger did.
"Dear Merlin..." Fred gasped. "She is."
"No, I am not mad about it." I snapped back.
They looked at each other in sync and then back at me.
"Then will you give us a kiss?" They asked together and grinned.
They were playing with me like lions playing with a snake. No matter how much I snapped back at them, they would still tease me. The thing was that I wasn't a poisonous snake, so they were safe to play and tease as much as they wanted, and they knew it.
"No." I tried to walk past them, but Fred turned me around to face him.
"Come on, Gee. Just one kiss, it won't hurt." I had no idea why they were insisting so much over it.
"Fred." I sighed and cracked a smile. "Let me explain this to you simple. If tomorrow the sun explodes and you are the last guy left on the burned charcoal which we call Earth I still wouldn't kiss you!" George laughed out, while Fred's smile corners turned down for a brief moment, but then he smirked.
"Of course not, we won't have so much space for that." I looked at the ground disappointed that he answered back. George was having the time of his life still laughing.
I let out a sigh and looked at the ceiling.
"This is a task, right?" I pretended that I was asking Merlin and Fred look up as well as if he was looking for the answer.
"Gee, come on. Fred and I are just teasing. No need to imagine the end of the world." George wrapped a hand around my shoulder and squeezed it.
"Find someone else to tease." I took few steps back after pulling away from George's grip and when my back hit something hard, I tilted my head backwards to see Tristan looking at the twins.
"Oi, Ryan. Came to take our toy away?" Fred called out to him.
"Watch it, Weasley."
I always found their behavior strange. They weren't like Draco and Harry. They never offended each other and Tristan was only warning them, nothing more.
We walked outside where I was greeted with a hug from Lydia. She was overly excited about the event and showed me what she bought, while Tristan and Miles were talking about their things from behind us.
In an hour the couple left us and Tristan and I headed to the stadium.
"Tristan?"
"Hm?" He seemed to be in thoughts.
"What is it between you and the twins?" My question fully got his attention. "I've noticed you three are odd around each other."
"We used to be friends." He simply answered and I blinked few times with wide eyes.
"And?" The gossip girl in me woke up thirsty to know more.
"Their father saved my dad from attack of some wizard. Our parents are in good terms ever since then. I met the twins few weeks after you left to France and we actually got along pretty well." I couldn't believe that they were friends.
"But in our fourth year I became the captain of the quidditch team and everyone started complaining about how I was friend with the enemy and so did the Gryffindor team towards them, so we came to an agreement to leave everything in the past."
"I see..." Who would've thought that Tristan and the twins were actually friends.
I didn't bother him with the subject, knowing it somehow pained him. Tristan was a guy who actually cherished his friends a lot and now when things cleared up for me, I understood why he was behaving so cold and short with his words around them. He was actually hiding the fact that he missed their company.