9

"But why choose me as a partner? I thought I'd be the least person anyone wants."

"Because you've got fire, and I like fire."

---

Once James started counting, the game had started and everyone went their separate ways. Right away, Peter grabbed tightly onto my wrist and I had no other choice but to follow him.  Peter walked at a steady pace at first, but then his feet were traveling faster and soon enough, he was running.  Well, we were running since Peter was dragging me along with him.  I'm not a slow runner, but compared to him, I was slow enough.

"Why are we running?" I asked, trying my best not to sound exhausted already.  My feet were also weary and scratched since I had no shoes on.

"We want to get a good hiding place.  Don't we?" He replied easily, sounding perfectly normal. I probably sound like a dog in desperate need of water.  But wow, who knew Peter would take a game like hide and seek seriously.  This isn't the fight to the death or anything.

"Does it really matter?"

"Yes." He claimed hastily, going on a swerved path that seemed hidden in the depths of the forest.  The colossal trees arched over it and the thick roots lined the path, followed by some unknown flowers.

"Where are we going?" I asked in between heavy breaths as we were following the path.  You know, maybe I should stop talking so I can save my breath.

"We're almost there." He didn't answer my question, but I guess it was relieving to know that we were almost there; wherever that may be.  Eventually the path ended, but all it led us to was a collection of hovering plants bunched together standing in the way.  The plants acted as a wall almost, like a hedge. 

Before I had the chance to question Peter, he made a wave with his hand, and all the plants started separating from each other and made an opening for us to enter.  Though the opening, there was a small cabin that looked abandoned.

"Come on.  Let's go." Peter said.  Well, it's not like I have a choice Peter since you are holding onto me like a child, I thought.  When we went though the opening, the plants jumbled back together and closed the entrance. We were now in front of the cabin and all I could think about was how gloomy its appearance was.

The door looked like it was close to rotting with its mold and the windows were completely covered with a layer of dust, so it was useless seeing your reflection.  Did I mention there were also spiderwebs sticking to the walls????

"I swear it looks better inside." Peter assured with conviction, opening the creaking door.  I was surprised it could even open without it falling apart. I gave Peter a doubting look as I followed him inside the cabin.

Turns out Peter was right.

The cabin definitely looked better inside. The inside looked like any modern house with its living room, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. The floor was quite polished and the furniture seemed very designer. The fireplace added a nice touch as well. I had to admit, I liked the place.

"Ahem." Peter faked a cough to grab my attention. I turned around to him sitting proudly on the couch with his arms relaxed and a smirk on his lips. "So you like the place?"