Chapter 12 - dance with the devil

"Don't call them Rieden." Channing growled at him menacingly. "I warn you."

Rieden sighed heavily, Channing's warnings were not to be taken lightly.

"Channing he is a fellow Brother I have no choice. It's in our code."

            "I will lay it out for you nice and clearly. You are still unable to contact her; I however, can feel which direction she is in. Without me...you are as lost as they are ...until she decides to let you in. If you tell that Ice male the general direction of where she is I will...try...to leave you behind...but to be honest, I will, in all reality, probably kill you. So that's your choice Rieden right here on the table. Be in the game to find her or not be...it's up to you."

Rieden rubbed his hand over his face; he knew that Channing never said anything he didn't mean, nothing was a bluff.

He realised long ago that when it came to Talon...no one was safe if they made the foolish decision to stand in the black haired giant's way.

            There had to be a compromise. Flicking his eyes up to meet the blue eyes that were festering with lethal temper he gave a defeated hand gesture.

            "I will not tell him where we are heading...but I really want to inform them that she is alive but she is not letting me in."

Channing narrowed his eyes a snarl lifting to show his white teeth, Rieden waited patiently.

 It surprised him when Channing grunted, "that's all...or else you are on your own if I can help it or...dead if I can't. Either one will suit."

Rieden informed Konall that he had sensed Talon awaken but that she was not letting him in. He described the feeling her experienced through the link. Konall brought up the same problem that was weighing heavily on his mind.

            "What did he say?" Channing asked.

            "He agreed I shouldn't put more force behind the request to have access to her mind...not at this early stage anyway. He also...brought up something that I've been ...thinking about..." Rieden said as he seated himself in the passenger seat of a car Channing had...probably stolen.

            "And what would that be?" Channing asked looking in the side mirror as he pulled out into the traffic.

Rieden was surprised at how his affection had grown for this Cursed Slayer. It was something he had not expected he would feel...let alone receive any feelings from Channing. Granted, Channing was cold and hard...but the other day when Rieden had lost it...breaking down at the thought of losing her...Channing had comforted him. And now this...but Rieden felt it necessary to be truthful.

            "I'm not sure if you understand the scope of what you asked me to do. I have to be straight up and say that...as soon as I can mind link with her, I will have to inform them."

Even though his focus was on the road, Rieden saw Channing's black canines slide out over those lips, a vicious growl accompanying them.

            "Channing, I have no idea what that poison did to her system. I'm asking myself all the time, did it stop her ovulation? Did her body wake up just the way it was? Because Channing the truth is...if she woke up mid ovulation...then her time has begun to tick."

            "What do you mean her time?" Channing turned to him.

            Rieden saw the worry flit through his eyes before  cold strength flooded that emotion out. Rieden had become used to Channing's sharp temper increases whenever Talon was involved. He was a simmering volcano of fury and Talon was the catalyst for regular explosions. Rieden knew that he had seen nothing of what Channing was capable of yet, he imagined if Talon were in trouble right in front of this Cursed Slayer...he would most likely be shocked at the calibre of strength and viciousness he could let loose.