Chapter 35 - Brother

(Unedited as always lol)

Talon rushed past Channing, dashing towards the tree, still rather wobbly on her new lengthened legs, her silver and gold hair streaming out behind her like the dappled sunlight through the leaves of tree in a summers afternoon.

Rieden put an arm out to stop Channing burling after her, he knew and understood the heightened protective instinct that was flowing through his veins because he was experiencing it himself... but he sensed that restraining Talon maybe a very bad move to make in this circumstance. Channing snarled at him, his blue eyes glowing within the black of the mask never strayed from Talon's progress.

They stood there together, Rieden in anticipation and Channing trembling with the need to pull her back next to him. Rieden swallowed, no matter what Channing or Talon thought now, Talon's wishes reigned supreme unless she was going to be in danger. Then, they had a right to speak up... to move against her wishes. To challenge her.

And Danger had to be put in context in this situation.

They watched as she laid her hand on the bark of the tree peering into the dark gaping fissure. Watched as she gripped either side of the crack and help heave the gash to accommodate the escape of whatever was in there.

"How much will she hate me if I kill it?" Channing asked softly. Rieden glanced up to see the giant in an internal war.

"I wouldn't be doing anything just yet, until we know exactly who or what it is," Rieden replied narrowing his eyes as Talon suddenly gazed up. "If it is dangerous, I will help you bring it down. That way will we split her anger up between the two of us."

Channing gave him a second look.

 She was looking up with her mouth slightly opened. Her gaze put whatever is was at least double her height, which would make whatever was up there twelve feet high, or placed around that height in the tree. He hoped it was the latter. Something twelve foot high didn't really fill him with bubbling happiness and it would definitely create a new tension in Channing.

Her mouth slowly transformed into the most wondrous grin, her hand slowly rose to cover her mouth.

"Black Blood! What the hell is in there?" Channing growled as coarse black hair coated one of his arms.

"Channing! Look, look at your arm," Rieden pointed. The arm that had held Talon's in the bonding when the hair erupted, it was white.

Channing focussed on his arm and let it shift. The huge black wolf's leg was now stockinged in white shiny hair. Diamond claws glinted at his paw, diamond claws threaded with black seams.

Blue eyes gazed at him demanding answers he had only theorised about, he could give none as he was not certain.

Talon's giggle snapped both of their heads back to her direction. Channing growled and Rieden gasped.

"What is it Rieden?" Channing breathed.

"I don't know," Rieden was barely able to form words because of the sight before him.

Talon was like a little girl reaching her hand out to something she shouldn't be at a circus or zoo, her angelic face was full of rapture and delight as she held her hand out beckoning and nodding. Out of the fissure in the tree something moved.

Long wooden stick... fingers reached out toward her hand, a knobbly and gnarled hand followed slowly to curl around Talon's tiny one. She jumped up and down in excitement. Rieden, who possessed no super hearing powers could hear Channing's drumming heart beats, hear the shallow pant as he fought his body's instinct to get to her.