Chapter 31 - unravelling

"Ice Slayer females sleep heavy naturally, as I'm sure you might already know. I'm not sure about the elf side but I imagine it would be rather on the light and alert side, in saying that I will have to put her in to a deep healing sleep with a bit of... force." Rieden pushed Talon's hair back from her face as she slept. "I need her to be under wholly, so nothing fights the healing."

He looked up at Channing who nodded tensely. He sighed.

"She'll get through it Channing. She'll make it to her first heat." Rieden said consolingly.

Channing said nothing, his blue eyes focussed on the girl in his arms. Panic was such a peculiar expression for such a dark giant to wear. But it was there, he was terrified that she would leave him and this time for good... and if she did what a menace would be set free on the world, reigning hurt as he had been hurt. No one would be safe.

 Talon had tired so quickly after she had taken them up to the see the tree covered in tiny buds, it was almost within the blink of an eye. After playfully tormenting and teasing Channing for a while she had shifted and sat on the grass, after a few minutes she closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Rieden could feel the Ice Slayer side of her fading in its strength not to a critical point but almost; the elf side was basically keeping her alive. He could help though. He was his wolf's healer and heal he would do. The best he could at least in this precarious and irreversible situation.

Riende felt like slamming his own fist into something, if it hadn't been for Zarvane kidnapping her she would have already performed the lifdagar snúa and been healthy, not someone that was holding on tenuously, but what was soon going to be a mere thread.

To do this he had to create a healing thread, like a woollen ball of healing that once connected to Talon would unravel within her to the last potent strand melded into her body. But she needed to be a rest for it to work.

And a deep rest at that. To wake before its end would pull more energy from her as her body searched for the rest of the healing.

As Rieden worked his power to fuse with Talon and subdue the raging and hissing elf side of her he wondered if it would have ever had the opportunity to surface without the concoction Zarvane had given her.

It just didn't ring right. He suspected a deeper involvement of the Elves than Konall imagined, right down to the fact that Talon was either sired by Elhendhril himself or someone of similar power or that her mother was forced somehow with the elf's blood. It would explain the dislike of Talon as a child, an Ice female would detest to be forced into anything and be exposed to the reminder day after day.

The fact that Talon was left alive indicated that her mother would have been threatened... heavily by the elf to ensure Talon's safety. But safety did not equate to love, not in an Ice Slayer circle of old.

In fact not much did.

So what did that say about the Elf, surely they were aware of the Ice Slayer's mentality, especially the cold hard unforgiving nature of the circle female. To set a child in such an environment did they not care for the nightmare life she would have lived?

He was missing something... something important, some tiny bit of information or insight that would throw some light on this situation.

The second transition would be interesting, would the Ice Slayer side rise to fight for dominance or would the influx of power aid the Elf side.

He knew Talon wanted both sides to merge; hopefully they would like Channing's had. He smiled in retrospect, she had certainly surprised both of them with her reaction to finding her ears now were pointed.