Old friends

Two tall figures stand in the doorway. Their heads barely fit under the door as they enter the room.

"Hello." I recognise him as Phil, his piercing blue eyes meet with mine, and he smiles slightly.

"Hi. You must be Phil. And, you're Dan."

I look over to the brown haired boy, who's eyes are locked with mine. He doesn't speak or show any form of emotion.

Phil nudges Dan lightly with his arm, and looks from him to me. Dan just stands there still.

His whole body is tense, and he keeps looking me dead in the eyes. His eyes water slightly, his jaw and fists clench. In one quick movement he pushes Phil out of his way and storms out of the door.

"Dan! Dan, come back!" Phil shouts and the door slams in his face.

He sighs heavily and turns back to me smiling sympathetically.

"I'm sorry. On his behalf Charlie, he just-he's in shock. He's scared, that's all." Phil says sitting on the edge of the hospital bed.

"Yeah. I would be too if I was in his position. It must be scary, knowing someone so well and then, the next minute, them not remembering you at all." I play with my hands and look down at them.

"Hey..." Phil says calmingly "Don't worry, he'll come around."

I smile at him before sitting up more.

"Do you think I should talk to him?" I ask.

"It's worth a shot I suppose. Just, be careful. Dan, he can be a bit..." He stops and thinks carefully about his words "...sensitive, when he's overwhelmed or in shock just...be careful, okay?"

I nod in understanding, and Phil helps me stand up.

Thankfully, I'm no longer being forced to wear one of those shitty hospital gowns that show your arse out the back. Literally, I would have to walk with my back to the wall wherever I went just to ensure no one had my butt right in their damn face. I'm still getting back into walking because as you can imagine, lying in a bed and not moving for three months solid will mess with your body a whole damn lot.

I manage to walk out the door, and look left and right down the hall in the search of Dan.

The hallway seems completely isolated at first glance, but then I spot him.

In one of the shitty little plastic chairs at the bottom of the corridor, hunched over with his head in his hands. I approach him slowly, taking note of Phil's words to be careful. I finally reach the row of three seats.

"Dan..." I say, cautiously.

He slowly looks up at me teary eyed and he straightens his posture. We maintain eye contact and he opens his mouth as if he's going to speak but closes it again and looks down at the floor.

"It's okay. I understand, Dan. You don't have to speak if you don't wan-"

"No, you DON'T understand!"

I flinch and back off a little.

Phil meant what he said.

"I-Dan I'm sorry-I just..."

"NO!" He stands quickly from his seat, towering over me with an angry expression. "Just-you can't and won't EVER understand just how FUCKING hurt I am!"

Fuck it. I stand up too.

"No, you know what? You have NO right to shout at or be angry at me! You think it's hard for you, really?! Have you even considered for a second, just how hard this is for ME? Because guess what, Daniel! This isn't some sort of magical, fairyland adventure for ANYONE. Everyone is being impacted by this, not just you! You need to grow up, and join the rest of us in reality, because, believe it or not, the world doesn't JUST revolve around YOU-"

He starts crying then, and slumps back into his seat...

Shit. That was way too harsh.

My breath quickens in sudden panic and guilt.

"Shit, Dan I'm so sorry. I just-"

"No, don't be. I'm sorry. You're right...I was over the line and I'm so sorry. I'm just angry and confused and upset." He says quietly.

I sink down in the seat next to him and stare into nothingness. We just sit there for a while, consumed in our own thoughts, until I feel a strong arm around my shoulders and I'm slowly pulled into Dan. I take a moment to react, but then I bury my face in his chest, and wrap my arms around his torso tightly. I'm consumed in warmth as I feel his breathing on my head, as he rests his on mine. We sit there for a long time, just in each others embrace, until I fall asleep...