The Dream

(TRIGGER WARNING - abuse)

-flashback-

*Bang!*

I'm impolitely woken by the front door slamming loudly shut.

Looking over at my clock, it reads 3:41am.

Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, I pull off my bed sheets and swing my legs over the side of the bed, walk over to my bedroom door and open it with a creek. I quietly make my way to the top of the stairs, and I'm relieved to see it's only Joe. Letting out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding, I make my way towards him.

"Hey doofus, how come you're back so late? Where've you-..."

His bloodshot eyes lock with mine, and I stop dead in my tracks. I knew he was going out drinking, and I figured he'd come back tipsy. But something seems off.

I've seen that look before too many a time on my dads face. It's uncanny, the same expression I'd always see before he...

I take a step back from him.

"J-Joe, are you-"

"Stop talking." his voice is unusually low, making the way he speaks sounding like more of a growl.

"I-I"

In one swift movement he jolts forward and swings to hit me, but I quickly dodge him.

My eyes widen, and I quickly turn and sprint back up the stairs. I hear his footsteps behind me and my breathing begins to quicken.

"Get the fuck back here, Charlie!"

I run back into my room and slam the door shut behind me. Then I remember there's no lock.

"Shit!" I quietly curse to myself.

With there being no time to grab something to push against the door, I do it myself, putting my full weight into it as he starts pushing it from the other side.

"Open...this FUCKING door RIGHT NOW or I swear to God!"

I start sobbing and putting all the effort I can into keeping that door shut.

"You little shit, OPEN THE DOOR."

With a loud grunt, he shoves against the door with such a strong force, it pushes me away from it and onto the floor with a thud.

I look up at him through teary eyes and just about make out his figure towering over me.

"J-Joe please, don't-AGH!"

...

The room goes silent other than a very faint ringing noise.

I bring a hand to my face where he hit, and lock eyes with him again, and see the all to familiar anger behind them.