Truth Be Told

The way Dans jaw is clenched the tiniest bit, the way his eyes have lost their faint shine, the way his whole body seems to tense ever so slightly hearing me tell him that Joes name is the answer to his question.

"I-I'm not sure entirely because...how can I know what's real, and what's not? These 'dreams'. I'm convinced they're not dreams at all. But Joe would never, he wouldn't. He promised. He promised me he wouldn't be like him!" Tears threaten to cloud my eyes with each word.

"...You remember, don't you? What your dad used to do." Dan asks hesitantly, his voice cracking towards the end of his sentence.

"Well actually, Joe had already told me. But yeah, I "dreamt" about it...likewise with Joe. He blamed me for everything wrong in his life that night, and -of course, me being me- I went and ended up believing it." I say.

Dan quietly asks questions next to me in the softest voice, while he looks sympathetically into my eyes:

"What did he blame you for?"

"Well for one, his failed relationship with a girl called Melanie, which ended because she treated me horribly behind Joe's back. Their relationship lasted around 3 months I think...but until Joe actually heard her saying shit to me one day, it still carried on. It was his first relationship in months and he seemed so happy, so I didn't say anything. I didn't want to ruin their relationship and his happiness simply for mine, you know? But after he ended it with her, he convinced me that I should have told him sooner and that none of it was my fault. So, naturally, when he said the exact opposite that night he came home drunk, it seemed like a repressed feeling he was letting out."

We sit in silence as Dan stares sadly at me, trying to piece it all together.

That's when I break.

"Dan..." I start to sob. Completely uncontrolled ugly sobs as tears start to stream down my face.

"I don't want it to be REAL!"

My voice breaks as Dan's eyes widen and he doesn't hesitate to pull me towards him.

"Hey...hey...shh, I know, I know" he gently talks over my loud sobs, but I can hear the pain and worry in his voice.

Through my blurred vision I see Dan start to move, and the next thing I know he's holding me in his arms, walking up the beach and back towards the hotel.