The dream

*trigger warning: ideas of sexual harassment*

"Hello again sweetheart."

He leans against either side of the wall I have my back to. I have no way to escape. He looks me up and down. I stand unable to move, too shocked to speak. I just stare into his dark menacing eyes. I could never forget those eyes, they stared deep into my soul, I felt like he could read my thoughts.

"Fuck, the things I would do to you."

He bites his lip.

"You have no idea. I would fuck you so hard you wouldn't know what hit you. I can just imagine it. You screaming as I-"

"Charlie?!" It's Dan. Thank god it's Dan.

He panics for a moment, looks in the direction of the noise and scowls, turning back to me. He leans in close to my face, our noses nearly touching. I feel his cold breath as it hits my face.

"Don't think you're safe. You can't hide from me. Your friends can't protect you forever. Remember that."

And with that he runs away, disappearing into the shadows of the dimly lit street.

"Charlie?! Where are you, are you out here? Charlie, there you are! H-hey are you okay?"

I cant say I'm all surprised by his reaction. My eyes feel like they're about to pop out of my head from how wide they are in panic. I'm shaking slightly as his words replay in my mind.

"Lotty, Charlie, Charlotte? Anyone in there?" I snap out of my thoughts.

"Y-yeah, I-I'm fine."

"What the hell are you doing out here? You're going to catch your death, it's freezing. Here..." He holds out his hoodie from his old University. I decide to pretend nothing happened. I'm not going to tell anyone, at least not right now.

"Really Dan? Are you even technically allowed to own this hoodie? You never even graduated." I say chuckling and smiling fakely. He chuckles and throws the hoodie at me.

"Shut up, you." He smiles at me and I smile back before putting the hoodie on. As soon as he turns his back my smile fades.

I follow him back inside, feeling numb and distant. As if I'm not really there. Everything after that is a blur. My body is there but I'm not there myself, it's as if everything is happening around me, and that's it. It's just happening, and I'm just there.

Existing...

As I replay the events from that day in my head again and again, the images changing each time, to the point I don't know what's real anymore. And before I know it I'm in my bed staring up at the ceiling. Replaying it yet again, and soon enough it's morning. And I haven't slept.

And the next day goes by, then I'm in bed again. And I finally sleep. I can finally get away from the reality of it all...but that's not the case.

He's there.

Wherever I go.
Anywhere.
Even in my dreams.
He will always be there.

...

Then I wake up.

I quickly sit up in panic and take in my surroundings.

I'm still in the hospital, but I'm in my bed again. I hear faint snoring and turn to see Dan asleep in a chair beside my bed.

It's then that I realise...that wasn't just a dream.

I was reliving a memory...