Chapter 4

"Silence!" A furious yowled sounded above the other voices. An ominous hush settled over the crowd. "You... You must learn respect.   Stonepaw!  Get over here!"   Ruststar ordered.   The young gray tom scrabbled to his leader's side.  "Teach this kit respect."  His eyes glowed with menace. 
          Stonepaw turned on Cinderkit.  His eyes glowed with eagerness to prove his worth.  He started circling the small gray and white she kit. Then he pounced. He hit her hard and she shrieked in terror. He clawed her shoulder and she screamed in agony.
Fury rose inside Cinderkit. How dare they attack me?! She bared her sharp kit teeth and buried them into Stonepaw's front leg. He howled with shock and pain, leaping back. Cinderkit scrambled to her paws while he recovered from the brief shock. She leaped at him, her small claws outstretched. Stonepaw was barely more than a kit himself. Cinderkit struggled to get a grasp on the bigger cat, then at last, her teeth met flesh. Stonepaw flung her off and she landed heavily in the dust. She tried to rise to her paws but fell. She looked up into Stonepaw's eyes, which had once been playful and warm. Now all they held was cold hatred. He pinned her down with a paw planted firmly on her throat. She let a soft whine escape her mouth.
"Goodbye, Cinderkit." He whispered viciously. He bared his teeth and prepared to deliver the final blow.
"Stop!" A voice screeched. Stonepaw whipped his head around. There, rushing toward them, was Toadfur, the medicine cat.  "Stonepaw, get off her!  Ruststar, Nightwhisker, wait in Ruststar's den for me.  I'll be there after I tend to this poor kit's wounds."  He ordered. 
           The dark deputy narrowed his eyes, then he stalked after his leader to Ruststar's den.