Chapter 12

Cinderpaw yowled a hollow triumph.  She didn't feel triumphant.  There was something different about that young black tom.  He had almost seemed friendly.  She turned to follow the rest of the patrol.  She couldn't see Stonepaw. 
Strange. She thought.  Where was he?  Cinderpaw turned around as a twig snapped behind her.  She saw a light grey pelt laughing itself at her and menace in its cold, flint-like eyes.
Before she could react, Stonepaw had her pinned down, his claws clutched around her neck. Cinderpaw thrashed her legs, trying to free her from the larger cat.
Stonepaw's eyes glinted with a cruel humor. "What's wrong, kit?" He sneered. "Having trouble breathing?" He tightened his grip on her throats and drew his claws.
Cinderpaw let out a strangled screech as she tried to draw breath and fight the pain. She felt warm, sticky blood drip down the sides of her neck. She tried to ignore the darkness gathering at the corners of her vision.
No! Cinderpaw clawed desperately at Stonepaw. Agony jolted through her and her lungs screamed for oxygen.
Stonepaw ignore the she cat's desperate attempts to free herself.  He dragged his hind claws down her soft, exposed stomach.  Blood gushed out and his eyes burned with pride and laughter.
      Cinderpaw's flailing limps grew still and the darkness claimed her.