Chapter 21

Breezepaw shook water from her pelt as she paced the rainy camp. Echosnout has been kitting since just after sunset. Breezepaw glanced up at the sky, a claw-thin moon hovering high. The kits and two queens had shoved into the elders den to get out of the rain, but with the elders of two clans in one den already, it was pretty cramped. Whispernose and Lostkit were still in the medicine cat den, with Mudslide watching over them.  Seedpaw was learning how to help a queen kit, while Bramblepool and Mudspots helped the queen. 
      Breezepaw knew that the warriors would have to expand the nursery soon.  Once Echosnout had her kits, the nursery would be beyond full.  It was hard enough for all of the queens and kits to sleep in there as it was. 
      Bramblepool pushed his way out of the nursery.
Blizzardwing, Echosnout's mate, waited anxiously for him to speak.
"Three she kits, all healthy." Bramblepool declared.
Blizzardwing's tail drooped slightly, but he went in to see his mate.
Once he returned to the clearing, Breezepaw slipped into the nursery. She fought the urge to shake the water from her pelt. The rain echoed through the nearly empty den as Seedpaw and Mudspots left.
Breezepaw slipped up to the nest where Echosnout was hunkered down, licking three scraps of fur.
Echosnout looked up at her, then back to her kits.
"They're beautiful," Breezepaw breathed.
One was white and silver, one was a silver tabby, and one was gray with white on her ears and tail.
"This is Freekit," Echosnout murmured as she touched her tail to the silver tabby, "Nimblekit," she gestured to the white and silver kit, "and Blinkkit." She finished by touching her nose to the gray and white kit.
Breezepaw looked at the kits, warmth swelling in her heart. Then her heart sank. She missed her mother and littermate. She missed the warmth and security of the nursery. There was always someone around to keep her safe and happy.
"Blizzardwing didn't look too happy when he came in here." Breezepaw mewed, trying to distract herself. "How could he not be happy, with three newborn kits?"
"Blizzardwing wanted tom kits," Echosnout murmured. "Kits to make him proud as warriors or medicine cats."
Breezepaw felt grief and bitterness take ahold of her. "I don't know, I think she cats could be warriors and medicine cats," she almost hissed, speaking the words her sister so deeply believed.
"Maybe," Echosnout whispered, "but I love them no mater what. They're perfect to me."
Breezepaw felt the familiar claws of despair grip her heart. She slunk off to her nest and huddled into it. She quickly groomed her fur to dry it a little, then let sleep take her.