Chapter 10

"Shadowkit, do you promise to uphold the Warrior Code and Clan Law with your life?" Ruststar asked the young black tom kit.  "If so your mentor will be-"
      "Actually, Ruststar- sir- I'd like to train as a medicine cat."  Shadowkit squeaked. 
      Ruststar raised one eyebrow in disapproval.   "I'm not sure-"
      "Ruststar you can't force him to be a warrior!  If he wants to train under me, he's very welcome to!"  Reported Toadfur.  
      Ruststar released a deep snarl.  "Fine.  Shadowkit, until you receive your full name you shall be known as Shadowpaw, yada yada yada.  This meeting is dismissed."  Ruststar stalked to his den with a flick of his tail summoning his dark deputy. 
      Cinderpaw waved her tail and hurried over to Shadowpaw, wanting to be the first to congratulate him. 
      Shadowpaw looked around uncertainly as no one called his name. 
      "Congratulations Shadowpaw.  I bet Petalfeather is proud of you."   Cinderpaw meowed. 
      "Yeah but Nightwhisker isn't."  Shadowpaw muttered, glancing at where his father had disappeared into Ruststar's den. 
      Cinderpaw followed his gaze, her heart softened for the young cat.  "Nightwhisker doesn't know anything."  She spat angrily.  "Ruststar probably only made him deputy because he's as vicious and heartless as Ruststar himself!" 
      Shadowpaw didn't reply, only turned away. 
      Cinderpaw watched as the young tom padded away.  She let out a sigh and turned to see is her mentor had left Ruststar's den yet.  Nightwhisker stalked up to her. 
      "Come on kit.  I have your first apprentice task."  He said gruffly. 
      Cinderpaw gave a small bounce of excitement as he turned away.  She followed him to the medicine cat den where he stopped. 
      "Get some mouse bile from Toadfur and check the elders for ticks."  He ordered.
      "What?  I thought we were going to go hunting or something!"  Cinderpaw whined. 
      "You heard me!  Now go!  Your lucky Ruststar made you a warrior apprentice at all, so stop complaining."  He growled.
      Cinderpaw gave him a glare, then turned and stomped into the medicine cat den muttering under her breath.