Chapter 17

Breezepaw followed the warriors into the strange mixed camp.  All around there were cats that Thunderpaw told her were from Fireclan or Leafclan.  Yet they all smelled the same. 
      Ripplefeather led the patrol through the bushes and ferns where cats crouched, staring suspiciously at Breezepaw and her friend. 
      Breezepaw's pelt crawled with the gazes of more cats than she had ever seen before.  She looked up to the lip of the steep incline downwards they had followed to arrive here.  If things got sticky, her and Thunderpaw were dead. 
      Ripplefeather's patrol dispersed into the undergrowth of the camp with bitter mutters.  Ripplefeather led the two Dewclan cats to the base of an huge overgrown oak tree.  Thick ivy covered most of the tree, and Breezepaw was shocked when Ripplefeather nosed it aside to reveal the tree was hollow. 
      Ripplefeather vanished behind the ivy and Breezepaw heard quiet murmurs from inside. 
      Breezepaw looked around the camp.  Cats were stalking out of the growth to gather around the tree.  Breezepaw ducked behind Thunderpaw as their pelts fluffed up with hostility. 
      Thunderpaw looked reassuringly at Breezepaw. 
      A brown and cream tom pushed his way through the cats followed by a prickly looking black tom. They shoved their way past Thunderpaw and Breezepaw and disappeared behind the thick ivy as well.
Anxiety welled up inside of Breezepaw. What was going on in there?
"Those were Barkstar and Spikethorn, the Fireclan leader and deputy." Thunderpaw breathed in astonishment. "Leafclan and Fireclan must have joined forces for some reason, forming a new clan!"
Breezepaw's heart leapt. "Why would they do that?"
"I don't know," Thunderpaw admitted, "but it explains why both clans are here, and why they smell the same."
The ivy parted and Ripplefeather's silver face poked out.
"Thunderpaw, Breezepaw, come in here." He commanded softly.
Breezepaw looked doubtfully at Thunderpaw. He nodded at her and she slowly crept into the opening. Thunderpaw followed closely.
Breezepaw blinked several times, trying to get her eyes to adjust to the dim light. She looked up to see the inside of the tree towering about her. A couple small holes let glimmers of light in. In front of her we're Barkstar and a grey tom cat. Spikefur and Ripplefeather were sitting of either side of the mouth of the tree den.
"Greetings, young Dewclan cats." The grey tom said.
"Greetings, Splashstar." Thunderpaw dipped his head. "Greetings, Barkstar."
Barkstar stared unwelcomingly at the two young cats.
"What brings you to Stormclan today?" Splashstar asked.
"Stormclan?" Breezepaw mewed. Thunderpaw slapped his tail over her mouth.
"Yes, it's quiet all right. You're Thunderpaw, right? I've seen you at gatherings. It's all right that your friend doesn't understand." Splashstar said. "Yes, Stormclan. It's what our joint clan is called."
Thunderpaw removed his tail from Breezepaw's mouth. She threw a cold glance at him, but he wasn't focused on her.
Thunderpaw relayed the events of the day prior to the clan leaders and deputies. "We can't go back there. We need a new home. We were hoping that perhaps we could join your clan-- Stormclan."
Barkstar and Splashstar exchanged a surprised look. For a few heartbeats there was silence, then Splashstar spoke.
"You may stay for a couple days while we consider it. In that time, however, you will both help hunt, patrol, and in Breezepaw's case, care for the kits."
"Thank you." Thunderpaw meowed.
"Since he brought you here, Ripplefeather will be responsible for you two. Of course a queen will show Breezepaw what to do, but if she gets into any trouble, Ripplefeather will be held accountable." Barkstar spoke, his voice deep and gravelly.
"Of course." Ripplefeather dipped his head.
"You are dismissed." Barkstar's voice had an edge on it.
Ripplefeather led the two Dewclan cats out of the tree. He herded them over a den made of vines and branches. "This is the nursery. Breezepaw, you will be temporarily taught by Greenpetal.  She's a white queen with green eyes.  I'll leave you to get acquainted."  Ripplefeather said.  "Thunderpaw, I'll show you where you will be sleeping." 
      And with that the two toms padded away, Thunderpaw glancing apologetically over his shoulder at Breezepaw. 
      Breezepaw took a deep breath and headed into the nursery.