Chapter 14

"Hey Breezepaw."  Stoneclaw meowed as he approached Breezepaw. 
      Breezepaw looked up from her crow she had been eating.  She looked back down and mewed in return.  "Can I help you?"
      Breezepaw could feel his eyes burning into her skull. 
      "Do you want to take a walk with me?"  Stoneclaw asked.  Breezepaw thought it sounded more like a command, so she nodded and followed.
Stoneclaw stopped shortly out of camp. Breezepaw followed his lead and sat down.
"Breezepaw, we've been close since we were kits. Now I'm a warrior, and it just doesn't seem fair that you don't get your full name too." Stoneclaw meowed.
Fair? What do you know about fair? You killed my sister for fighting for what was fair and what she believed in. Breezepaw looked on at the light grey tom she had once loved.
"How would you like to receive your full name-- by becoming my mate?" Stoneclaw stared at her expectantly.
"I think we're a bit young to take mates." Breezepaw tried to keep the hostility out of her voice.
"What are you talking about? I'm a warrior now, and the clan deputy. There's nothing standing between us." Stoneclaw sounded irate at her words.
"You were made warrior and deputy very young, which is quite an accomplishment, but I think I'm still to young to take a mate." Breezepaw replied coolly. Can't this be fuzz-brained mange-pelt take a hint?
"You don't have much choice, Breezepaw. I'm a tom, not to mention warrior and deputy, making me your superior in every way. You are going to be my mate. I tried asking nicely, but that didn't work, did it? I thought you cared about me. But I guess it doesn't matter. I'll let Ruststar know we're mates now so he can decide when your name ceremony will be held. Come on back to camp now, my beloved mate." Stoneclaw's last words were a harsh snarl.
Stoneclaw shoved Breezepaw back in the direction of camp.
As Breezepaw walked, terrified of having to live as this cat's mate, Stoneclaw padded up beside her. Breezepaw suppressed the urge to claw the tom as he laid his tail over her shoulders.

They entered camp and Breezepaw tried to get away from Stoneclaw, but he stepped in front of her, his eyes flashing dangerously.
"Why don't we announce to everyone?" Stoneclaw purred scathingly. "Would you like to or should I?"
Breezepaw stared at her paws. She had imagined this moment for so long, but never like this.
"Attention, Dewclan!" Stoneclaw yowled, wrapping his tail over Breezepaw's shoulders once more. "I have an announcement to make!"
Breezepaw felt like she would throw up, all her clanmates gathering and staring at her.
"Breezepaw and I happen to be mates now." Stoneclaw remarked smugly.
The cats from the clan all came up in turn to congratulate the two young cats.
Breezepaw noticed that Thunderpaw hung back until all the others had finished.
"Congratulations, guys. My friend and my brother. It's great for you guys." Thunderpaw's mew was cheerful, but Breezepaw could tell it was fake.
"Thanks. It's too bad there aren't anymore young she cats for you until Faithfur gives birth and her kits and grown."  Stoneclaw said hotly. 
      "Yeah," Thunderpaw forced a laugh. "Oh well though.  I'm not looking for a mate."  Thunderpaw flicked his tail in farewell and padded off. 
      "Well, well, well," a voice from behind them said. 
      They turned to see Ruststar approaching.
      "Stoneclaw, I must say you are quite impressive.  Your brother is barely more than half way through his training and you're already a deputy with a mate!"  Ruststar praised.  "Breezepaw, we will name you tomorrow morning at dawn."  He meowed briskly before padding off. 
      "Well, I'd better go.  I have important deputy stuff to do."  Stoneclaw bragged before bounding away. 
      Breezepaw felt sick to her stomach as she dragged herself into her nest in the nursery that night.  The other queens couldn't seem to say enough how soon there'd be new parents.  They beamed at her about how amazing it was to keep the clan alive by giving birth to so many kits.  They told her how they couldn't wait until she had her first kits, which, they were sure wouldn't be long.
      Her dreams that night were tormented and wakeful.  She woke again just after moonhigh, this time with a plan.