3

"I cannot believe Katy would do something like that, especially to her daughter. You wanna know why Maya is skin and bones? Cause she can't afford to eat. She's never gonna go to college. She's gonna be working a crappy job for her whole life."
"She could get a scholarship."
"This is still awful. That poor girl."
"Are you talking about Maya?" Asked Riley from around the kitchen corner. Topanga nodded. "What happened?"
"Her mother passed away."
"What? When? How?"
"Wait? We never thought about when."
"What about it?"
"Maya suddenly stopped talking to us and everything. That must be why."
"How did she die?" Asked Riley, again.
"Suicide." Riley froze up. Then she grabbed her jacket and tried for the door being stopped by Topangas arm.
"Don't. We've bothered her enough for now. Besides, I think she's at work."
"That's so unfair."
"That's life. Real life."
"So I'm just living in some safe shell while thinking I'm out there trying to battle life."
"I mean that life isn't fair."
"Maya's blessed." Said Cory. "Just not as much as the other people you know."
"How is she blessed! Maybe she just barely has the essentials to live but you're not actually living if you can never be happy."
"But you're gonna be there."
-
Every muscle in Maya's body deeply ached as she slowly made her way up to the Matthews apartment door. Topanga was walking down the hallway from the other side, noticing her.
"Maya, you actually came."
"I have to ask you for a favor."
"Let's go inside." She said, smiling a bit when she turned to the door. Had the girl finally realized she couldn't do it on her own?
"Cory, Maya's here."
"Hey, Maya. Didn't think you'd come."
"What was the favor you needed?" She asked closing the door.
"Um, actually, never mind."
"What was it, Maya?" She said,
"Sometimes I have a lot of trouble breathing and last night I couldn't at all for a long time. And I had a seizure last week. I'm scared."
"Come on, let's get to the hospital." She said, walking to the coat rack.
"Mrs.Matth-"
"Here's a coat." She said handing her one. "Those things aren't normal."
"I can't go to the hospital."
"Well, sorry to say it but I can't help because I'm scared for you."
"Topanga-" said Cory.
"I'm hearing that a sixteen year old girls having seizures with no explanation and can't breath." He nodded.
"I can't pay-"
"No. You're not going to worry about that."
-
"Mom, why'd you tell me to come here?"
"I wanted you to stay away from Maya but I don't think that's best."
"Then why are we at a hospital?"
"Because this is where she is."
"W-why? I mean, I don't care if she's pushing us away- Oh my god did she attempt suicide?"
"No. No, Riley, she's fine. They said it's going well. She's having some strange things going on latley but it seems like it's just coincidence."
"Okay, good. Why couldn't you wait until you got home?"
"Because you need to know you still care."
"Of course I do. I've always known that. I just chose to push it aside. I guess without Maya I do that."
"Mrs.Matthews." Said the nurse.
"Yes?"
"We want to do an MRI on Maya."
"W-why?"
"The X-ray wasn't how we would expect it to be."
"Oh no." Said Riley closing her eyes and taking a breath.
-
"Decisions been made. No more work. This ice cream is to celebrate." Said Topanga.
"And that you're moving in!" Added Riley.
"Are you s-
"Sure. Yes!" They both said. Maya chuckled a bit.
"Thank you. It means the world to me."
"We would have taken you in had you just told us. If you don't mind me asking, did she leave you anything."
"Dear Maya, The next time I see you, you better have lived. Really lived. It was never you. You never hurt me. Love you always, Mom." She recited, playing with the spoon in the ice cream. "I'll be right back." They watched as she went out the front door and wiped her face with the back of her hand from out the window.
"How was your day, Riley?"
"Why would you ask me that?"
"I love hearing about your day."
"I tell you everyday. How often is Maya asked that?"
"You're a great person, Riley."
"Thanks. Means the world to me."