17

"I'm very sorry, sir. The cancer has spread rapidly, I don't think there's anything more we can do." Says the doctor.
"Y-you're just going to send her home to die? There has to be more you can do. I'm not waiting around for her death."
"Mr.Matthews, please listen."
"To what?"
"Maya's tolerance to tramadol has grown stronger and stronger. You're daughter-" I don't correct him. She practically is another. "You're daughter is in a tremendous amount of pain in both her bones, lungs, and head. Cancer doesn't always hurt people like this but Maya's not reacting to anything very well." I look into the room at the sleeping girl. How much pain is she really in? Has she been standing it all of this time?
"What if there's a phycological component?"
"That can make pain worse but it won't save her life."
"I disagree. Maya doesn't value life one bit. Please, sir. I'll take her to a phycologist. You can't let her die." The man sighs.
"Eventually she will. She has no hope because there is none. I'm sorry." Suddenly I hear a beeping and he rushes into the room along with some other people. "I have to go."
-
"I'm so glad you made it back here." Said Riley, sitting on the couch next to Maya.
"I'm really happy too."
"Did you discover that you don't want to die?"
"Sorta. I want to. But what about earth."
"Wow. That's the first positive thing you've said in a really long time."
"Riley?"
"Ya?"
"Do you think it's selfish if you pray fro something for yourself."
"Depends. What did you pray for?"
"To get better."
"Maya-"
"Just answer, please."
"No. It's not selfish at all. It's also a payer to us. We want you here. And you're leaving us."
"It's not for certain."
"What?"
"I'm not ready to die yet."
"I love that you're being positive but please be realistic. Be happy about living but it's not up to you." Said Riley.
"I'm not going to be ready to die when I do. I won't lay down and know I won't wake up. My kitchen will probably be a mess. My laundry wont be done. But I'm gonna have a house of my own." Riley smiled. "Whatever you want." She said warmly.
"Heaven or earth." And that made Riley smile wider.
"You believe in heaven."
-
"Come on."
"Maya, stay still."
"I can't. Come on."
"What if you get hurt or your lungs-"
"I only have so long Lucas. Hurry."
"You're not going to die right now."
"I'm not wasting a second. We're here." She said, arriving at the tree.
"Maya, you haven't been up there since before you got really sick."
"I was still really sick. Just not you're absolutely on your way to death, no exceptions or a slight amount of hope on earth sick."
"Thanks for the reminder."
"You'll be fine without me."
"No, Maya. I won't."
"Lucas. You're going to marry a beautiful woman that makes you very happy."
"That's you."
"I'm flattered. But no. Promise me."
"No promises, Maya."
"You better. I'll be watching you."
"What? You don't believe that stuff."
"Things change."
"People change people."
"Dying changes people. Come on."
"Be careful, please."
"Ya-ya." They climbed up and out onto one of the branches, carefully.
"I'm really going to miss this." She said, looking at that view. But I'm sure heaven is more beautiful. Just not the same."
"Not that beautiful today. There's a dog pooping over there. And a kid throwing a tantrum over there. Glad I can barely hear it. Oh and-" Maya punched his arm. "Fine. It is kinda nice. But everyones so far away."
"Don't feel lonely."
"I'm not. You're here."
"No. I'm not enough. There's someone stronger with you. I'm always right here though. On this branch." Licas leaned in and kissed her.
"Hurt me, Maya. Kiss me. Let me hurt."
"I couldn't."
"You will because if you don't I'm always going to be saying what if you weren't afraid of hurting me. How do your lips feel on mine? Besides, you can't resist." He leaned in and kissed her, this time the kiss being returned.
"Guess not."
-
"Daaaad! Dad! Mom! Mommy, daddy." Screeched Riley. "Someone!" Topanga and Cory came running into the room, flicking on the lights. Maya's skin was pale. Her crystal eyes were never to be seen again. Her skin lacked color and her body was cold. Her chest laid still and her heart no longer beating.
The life of Maya Hart had ended. She'd never see the sun from earth again.
But she happily ran free through a forest of vibrant colors and daylight as a young heathy child.